Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Narblyg: A Tale of Six Heroes V. 1.III

Dead content awaiting restoration.
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8448 ... xo3.th.jpg[/img]

Download Link:
http://files.filefront.com/Narblygexe/; ... einfo.html

The demo has roughly two hours, fifteen minutes of gameplay.
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5806/updatecb3.png[/img]
STORY AND CHARACTERS:
-A small introduction to the game has been added.

PLACES:
-Graphical updates.

SYSTEM AND BUG FIXES:
-Fixed a glitch where Katt could not be properly named in Forestill.
-This version of the .exe file is an encrypted archive (you cannot read
it in RMXP)

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3859 ... ersob0.png[/img]

As the title claims, there are six heroes in this game. Through the course of the game, several non permanent characters join the party.

HEROES

Khar
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4624/001fighter01bo4.png[/img]

Class: Paladin
Background: Hailing from the small, forest town of Forestill, Khar dreamed of becoming a paladin as long as he could remember. The chance to become one happens as he finds a person strugging with a goblin in the woods..
Personality: Good natured & Childish; dislikes violence.
Motive is "hey, let's go have an adventure" but realizes he has another motive later in the game, finding out where he's really from. After that he wants to "finish the job" so he can stop the madness and chaos of the undead.

Katt
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4420/007fighter07zt8.png[/img]
Class: Warrior
Background: Katt is from her large kingdom on the small island of Hornt. Her people have an incredible knowlege of the outside world and seem to be trying to send out communications to abandoned, distant places. Katt is one of these scouts.
Personality: Somewhat cold & heartless, except when others are distressed.
Motive: Her king sent her on a mission

Sirius
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3955/017thief02ih3.png[/img]
Class: Thief
Background: Sirius doesn't know who he's from, or who he is. He wanders the world, stealing to keep alive. Sometimes is petty thievery gets him into comical trouble.
Personality: Reckless and overbearing, rude and obnoxious.
Motive: Cash! Cash! CASH!!

Feonix
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1095/020hunter01dc4.png[/img]
Class: Hunter
Background: Feonix was employed by Seafoam to gather supplies for the great kingdom. He was captured when his hometown was held under attack.
Personality: Very cautious, being a prisoner of war
Motive: Vengeance

Antimone
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5163/036mage04jo1.png[/img]
Class: Mage
Background: A wise, wise, old man. Lives in a tower and scries things for people.
Personality: VERY short temper. I mean like, the Michael Bay of Short Tempered people.
Motive: Wants to be recognized as a hero and not "luney"

Fyre

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4259/fyrebc4.jpg[/img]

Can you color this image? -> http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=38979.0
Class: Dark Knight
SPOILER ALERT
Background: Originally serving as Axis's second in command. He eventually become mad because of his dark powers. Axis, afraid of Fyre, chained him up and changed his personality. He was to become "A paladin, living in the town of Forestill where I had no recollection of my former past..." Yes big spoiler, Khar is Fyre. Can only be accessed by Khar using a special skill named Darkform.
Personality: Ruthless and dark; cares more for death then other people. When controlled by the character, acts like a bully; yes, Khar and Fyre
has different dialogue.
Motive: See Khar ^

VILLAINS

Axis
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4720/004fighter04wy7.png[/img]

Class: Darkness
Background: Nobody knows much about Axis, except that he commands a legion of bloodthirsty undead. Yeah, that's pretty notable.
Personality: Who the hell cares, he's a villain!
Motive: As a youngster was demeaned; he then came across a necromancer who taught him deadly dark magics. Axis later employed
this man under the name Magus.

Chronus, Magus, and Propus
Classes: Time Mage, Arcane Mage, Space Mage
Background: These three exist in the world as all the sin that human can do. Axis formed these three into physical beings and set them as his main generals.
Personality: Think Axel from Kingdom Hearts...yeah, that's it.
Motive: A slice of Axis's kingdom.

Evil King of Agre
Background: Signed a pact with the undead.
Like: Evil.
Motive: Self protection, evidently.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6528/storyjo3.png[/img]

SPOILER ALERT

Fifty years before the start of the game, in the peaceful kingdoms of Seafoam and Hornt, undead began stirring trouble. These undead were lead by Axis, a bloodthirsty Dark Knight with a lust for power. A war ensued, which Axis had the upper hand in. In their final hour, the forces of the two kingdoms believed in the prophecy in Narblyg, where six heroes would dream of a way to defeat the evil Axis and save the world. But they did not come...
  One day, present day, a young paladin named Khar dreams this dream (which is the introductory battle/scene), and feels it's power. But he disregards it and starts his daily chores. After he is finished, his father allows him access into the nearby forest, where a goblin is chasing a warrior. The warrior is saved by Khar (although she doesn't quite WANT to be saved) and introduces herself as Katt. Her reason for being in the forest is trying to find Cryll, a small town, to reestablish connections between Hornt and Seafoam.
  The team travels to Cryll, which has become a ghost town - literally - from the invasion of the undead. There are only three members of the Resistance there - Gargesh and two lowly soldiers. Gargesh was the captain of the Order of Seafoam, a paladin organization. Khar, Katt and Gargesh travel below Cryll to a small undead base, which Axis happens to be visiting. There, Khar and Katt are taught by Gargesh that they are the dreamers of Narblyg, and that they must find the four others.
  Gargesh is slain in the battle, and as last words ask the group go straight to Bayback Cave, where a thief waits with further instructions. In the cave, thief Sirius reveals himself as the third Dreamer and tells that the prophecy has been split into eight parts. He does not tell of why this is, but he does know that one is hidden deep within the cave. Inside the cave, the three discover the prophecy piece - after battling a huge dragon guardian, of course.
    The piece reads that the three must travel to the Scryer's Tower north of Seafoam Island. Inside, Scryer Antimone sees two Dreamers (the last would not reveal himself) and seven pieces. He tells that the next one is in The Arena, a popular sporting place where worthy opponents go for prizes. It is here where the second piece is held as a prize...
                                                                        More to come!
You can play ALL of the above story in the demo, so please download! Note: Below is content NOT yet availible in the game.

At The Arena, a jealous lancer named Gazet (whom you face as your 6th or so battle) steals the prophecy piece and runs off with it; the group finds him, and he morphs into a huge, OMGHUGE monster through the power of the prophecy. This shows that each piece of the prophecy has incredible power, answering a question that Sirius set up in Bayback Cave (Axis broke up the prophecy into 8 segments...dunno why though. Probably to throw us off.) After the group wins the fight, (the prophecy piece saying "The old man is the key") they go back to Scryer's Tower to find the next piece. It's revealed to be on Hornt Island; though the scryer claims "The fog of war seems to be clouding my vision..so I can't say where exactly." He then gives directions to Hornt Island to get to with the flying mount Stalemate (gotten earlier at the first visit to the tower). The group heads there, but as they do, they get attacked by orcish air forces and are captured and thrown into prison by savage orcs, who set up base camp at the most southern part of Hornt. The group escapes the prison into the dangorus orcish territory. Before they bolt, they see an orcish religious sermon, where the orcs worship the "Almighty Scroll", better known to us as the third piece of the prophecy (Sirus remarking "Damn! THEY have to have part of the prophecy?!?"). The group then uses stealth methods (yay! stealth methods!) to sneak through orcish territory and into the place where the prophecy is kept. The succeed, that is until they're caught by the orcish leader, resulting in boss fight, third prophacy gain. The third prophecy piece tells them "One treacherous town they must cross to unite the forth dreamer". The boss calls a horde to chase them into the nearby forest. After the escape, the group collapses in exaustion, and sleep (the in-game day system turns to 'night' at this time). A cutscene occurs with Axis and his Generals, Chronus, Magus and Propus need to guard the three of the five remaining pieces. Axis comes up with a strategy to defeat the Dreamers of Narblyg; divide and conquer.

What you DON'T know at this point in the game is that Khar used to be a Dark Knight under Axis, named Fyre. Fyre was considered a threat by Axis, and banished his dark powers and sent him to the starting town in the game (Forestill). However, Axis never fully banished Fyre, thus making Axis have the ability to 'whisper' to Khar. As Khar is sleeping, Axis talks to him, claiming that he has no reason to go on this adventure, and that he should return to his parents and live a quiet life. Axis also picks on Khar's life now in comparison to him in Forestill; that he's sleeping on cold, hard ground and forced to fight to survive. Khar wakes up in the middle of the night, and goes to a quiet lake in the middle of the forest.

The next morning, Khar is very annoyed at the group (but they don't know why) and he storms off north. Katt realizes her location: directly south of her hometown Agre, a very large city that Khar will arive in very soon. When Katt and Sirius arive, Khar is nowhere to be found and undead are guarding the place. Agre is very tightfisted and nobody dares to journey inside or out. Katt is aggressive towards the undead, and a massive fight ends up breaking out (where, remember, you don't have Khar to come heal you). The battle escalates into and through Agre's main palace all the way up the throne room, where Chronus shows up (with his own boss theme music AND attitude! okay, that failed. Chronus plays on Katt's, Sirius's, and Khar's pasts for attacks, and has the most time based attacks than any other enemy). So there's a boss fight against him. Chronus escapes by using time magics to freeze time to make a getaway. Katt asks the king what happened in Agre.

The king reveals that the mission for Katt to go to Cryll was fake, and that as soon as she left Agre signed a pact with the undead in order to prevent assimilation, and that there was only one thing they had to do; banish Katt and if she was to return, kill her. Well, that failed, and the king reveals that Khar is known to be one of the Dreamers (due to Chronus telling him) and is slated for execution in 30 minutes in Agre Prison. The entrance to it is in a backroom. Katt walks up to the king ("What are you doing, Katt..?" "Returning the thought.") where Katt kills him and relinquishes her position as a Warrior of Agre. The group has exactly thirty minutes to advance through the underground prison (the second dungeon to include keys, and the third to include switches) and stop Khar's execution. Well, Khar is predictiably rescued, and as they escape they notice a lone hunter in one of the cells. The hunter reveals himself as Feonix, the Dreamer of Narblyg captured in the introduction. Sirius uses his "skills" to release him and they escape. However, as they escape, Feonix prompts the group to take a secret exit out. Just as they do, Chronus attacks again, this time carrying...a piece of the prophecy! Using it's power, Chronus morphs all of the spectral essence from the undead guards form and creates one huge demon. The demon is defeated, and it's corpse falls on Chronus, who is unable to use his time magics to escape due to the Prophecy's strange power and is crushed ("It is...not my..time to go..!") He drops the prophecy, which claims the next one is in "the palace of the sands" to the east. Feonix realizes the location: The Desert Shrine in the very east deserts of Hornt.

(In case you're wondering, after you get the forth prophecy piece, you can return to Seafoam continent from Agre, and you can return back to Agre from Scryer's Tower by talking to Antimone).

TO BE CONTINUED...
_________
/Screenies\__________________________________
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1449/narblygopeningke0.th.jpg[/img]
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/239/narblyg2wr8.th.jpg[/img]
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4599/narblyg3lu5.th.jpg[/img]
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4312/narblyg3hx6.th.jpg[/img]
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1408/narblyg4qp7.th.jpg[/img]
_________
/Credits    \__________________________________

RedCube Games - Producer
Xilef - Windowskin
SeeyouAlways, PhanXgames - Icons
SeperothSpawn, PhanXgames - Scripts

NOTE: Because of PhanX's history of "stolen resources", I apologize if I did not credit you for your script or icon or whatever. If you see your resource being used in this game, please PM me and I'll edit the credits. (I made a rhyme  :smile:)
NOTE2: You may see a similar thread in the Early Projects section. I reported that topic for it's deletion. Thanks for your understanding.

The mapping is bad, the storyline sounds generic, Eww! 14 year olds going on big adventures! Speaking of the characters, you've done the same type of problem that many other newbies with bad project threads have done: Talking about the character's role and not giving info about their personalities. What are these charactes like? Are they serious? Are they foolish? Are they cheery? What?

This needs some work. Be proud that it's above the game "monster master", which is probably the worst RMXP game ever made below the level of Battle World RPG.

Ratty524":24x7i4ob said:
The mapping is bad
I admit that. My mapping needs work, but I think it's good for a first game.

the storyline sounds generic
Uhm, it's not quite done yet...I have several plot twists waiting for you when it's done.

Eww! 14 year olds going on big adventures!
So, what's wrong with that?
Speaking of the characters, you've done the same type of problem that many other newbies with bad project threads have done: Talking about the character's role and not giving info about their personalities. What are these charactes like? Are they serious? Are they foolish? Are they cheery? What?
Thanks for the info.

This game isn't finished yet, and I can very easily edit any part of the game. Don't expect my screenies to be the final game; screenie 5 used to be only the default map size.

Anyway thanks for your constructive criticism. I'll edit the post now..TY

Rare

So, what's wrong with that? Final Fantasy XII pulled it off pretty well. I could just as easily alter the age to 21, his age isn't really mentioned in the game anyway

People REALLY need to stop comparing their games to FF7.  Honest to god.

Also...the name of your game looks like you smashed your head against the keyboard and used whatever came up.  :x

Good luck, this needs much improvement.  :]

Elias":bsdczqo7 said:
So, what's wrong with that? Final Fantasy XII pulled it off pretty well. I could just as easily alter the age to 21, his age isn't really mentioned in the game anyway

XII is twelve, just so you know.
Whoosh.

VGMasterIII":202p4h3z said:
Elias":202p4h3z said:

Whoosh.

But Vaan is 19...

Also, why do you have 2 project threads?

Lurker77":itvsb9am said:
But Vaan is 19...

He reported his last topic for "deletion" (we don't do that...) so he could post a fresh topic here.  By the time I got on to tell him otherwise, he had already made his topic here.  So... whatever. :x

Lurker77":21l4gj0s said:
VGMasterIII":21l4gj0s said:
Elias":21l4gj0s said:

Whoosh.

But Vaan is 19...

Hmm. Whatever.

/bump

Since you pmed me to elaborate on your maps. Here is your overall problem:

> They're bar, that is they lack a lot of details to them and look empty. Utilize your space better, try seeing if you could use up the tileset to its full capabilities.

> Lack of atmosphere. Usually when it rains, the landscape would be either foggy or pale, not lush and bright as if it was a sunny day. Even if a map is supposed to be bright and sunny, try adding some cloud weather effects to make it look more appealing.

> I do not get your first screen. Why are there random lines across the hill top? It doesn't really give much of a sense of depth to me.

Also...the name of your game looks like you smashed your head against the keyboard and used whatever came up.  :x

Lol!
Good One.

Ummm, Yea the game is cool, but it needs work, especially on mapping. If you need good examples of maps go to Mapping Academy Forums and see the students maps and compare them to yours. You'll greatly improve if you learn from the best.

Ratty summed it up rather nicely.

I'm the type of person who defines the game by its characters and its mapping. If the characters are too plain, I won't be interested. I love characters with complexity... some sort of interesting background, not just "Hey guys, let's go have an amazing adventure!"  :sad:

Mapping. I see some amazing games and tutorials on this website. There are people out there who give a new meaning to the word mapping. Honestly, you can't get anywhere until you can map. I suggest you practice making some maps and such before going further with this game.

/sigh...

It's sad when there's been no real positive comments on a project. Speaking of the game, I'll have an update soon, mostly on mapping things and the part of the game I'm on right now..

mawk

Sponsor

Maybe you should take a lack of positive comments not as a hardship to be weathered, but a sign that you should improve -- everything's not all about you and how hurt your feelings are, you know. Generally, when topics here get rave reviews, they've earned them in advance.

Your characters seem a little... uninspired to me, your villain especially so; please don't use "darkness" as a blanket term for bad things and leave it at that. Villains need motivation, personality, et cetera, just like any other human being.

What I'm saying is give things a little more thought. The RPG standard "unlikely pacifist hero" and "disinterested love interest who eventually warms up" might be fun to play around with, but they're not going to get anybody interested or invoke empathy or anything like that.

In other words, constant vigilance! Game making doesn't come easy all the time; it takes some effort. Good luck with the finished product.

The game has been updated, and put into the .exe form where you extract it like my other game Minecart Mayhem.
Check it out!

EDIT: My Characters section seems to have disappeared.
Hmm.
EDIT2: Fixed it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.