Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

My Music

So, err... I took the courage to share some of my music related works. This is actually my first time sharing my stuff on a forum... so rather nervous over here.

I think a little background would be adequate:

First, I would like to say that my style isn't cinematic, my style is what I like to call old fashioned video game music. By old fashioned, I mean to say my style, not the instruments! :)

My influences are many... I always loved video game music, it is in fact my favorite genre of all time and I listen to it daily. Since I was around 7, I used to take a tape recorder and record the songs from NES games I liked from the TV speaker and then put the tape in my walkman and go for a walk. Good times...

I have been trying my hand at composing since 2004, but never really got into it until 2006, where I realized I liked composing more than I thought. I am completely amateur at this, meaning I have no schooling. I do this because I truly like it, like every other hobby of mine.

Many great composers have influence in my music and in some of my songs, you will hear them, with a keen ear... Influences: Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Michiru Yamane, Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Tamura, Masaru Shiina , Hiroshi Miyazaki, Koji Yamada, Manami Matsumae ( Manami Gotō ), Takashi Tateishi, Yasuaki Fujita, Minae Fujii, Mari Yamaguchi, Yuko Takehara, Toshihiko Horiyama, Makoto Tomozawa, Shusaku Uchiyama, Ippo Yamada, Yū Shimoda, Ryō Kawakami, Hiroki Isogai, Setsuo Yamamoto, Yuki Iwai, Yuko Takehara, Kinuyo Yamashita, Naoto Tanaka, Naoya Kamisaka, Michael Giacchino, Patrick J. Collins, Steve Duckworth, Akira Yamaoka. I try to learn from their creations as much as I can...

So okay, without further chattering, I will follow with some of my most recent work. Not the best you will ever hear, just my humble approach at game music (WARNING: I LOVE pizzicatos xD). These are all part of an OST for a game.

Crystallinum Testa

Centum Viginti

Vagabundo Sin Rumbo

The Eccentric Fool

Eternal Paradox

Across Those Hills

Stolen Stars

Screaming Fears

Reckless

Ventis Caelesti

Roads of Deceit

I'm so Moody

Unlikely Tears

On My Mind

The Chosen DNA

I hope somebody likes these!

UPDATE 6/19/2012: Some of the songs I finished editing. :)

Laments of Silence

That Trail Ahead

Yonder

Underground Sighseeing

Mystical Fetish

Royaly Speaking

Forgotten Spring

The Simple Life

UPDATE 6/22/2012

Akudo

UPDATE 8/26/2012

Dreaming Bay

Sweet Traditions and Prosper

Vagabundo Sin Rumbo (New Edit)

Final Menu

Don't Cry

Marching On

Spellbound Endeavor

Deserted Moon

Purple Coma

The Beautiful Assassin

Batman

Sponsor

These are all epic!!
However I don't see Akira Yamaoka in your influences anywhere?! *Shakes fist*

Anyway, awesome job! :)

swick":1vg0e3fc said:
These are all epic!!
However I don't see Akira Yamaoka in your influences anywhere?! *Shakes fist*

Anyway, awesome job! :)

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it! :)

And about Akira, I knew I forgot some, haha. Sorry! Been a gamer for too long. Too many names, too many master pieces for my my mind to handle. xD

Setsu

Hello fellow composer! I listened to some of your tracks and from what ive heard its not bad :)
keep it up!

I'm going to try to give you feedback on each song, because you really have a ton of talent here, and potential to get even better :) I'm not a musical prodigy or anything, but I play guitar in a band, so I kinda know a couple things about composing songs, but not much more than the average joe. So here we go!

> I listened to the first song on the list, Crystallinum Testa, and it instantly reminded me of Alundra 2 for the PS1, in a good way. That game is a classic that I hold dear to my heart, and you really brought back a lot of memories in that short 1:39-long composition.

> Centum Viginti is something that reminded me of beating the final boss(es) in Kingdom Hearts 1 and that whole ending. I think that is the first time I ever cried over a video game ending, and the music really sold it. I really like this piece. It seems sad, but at the same time, there's a chilling vibe to it. I dig it.

> The drums in Vagabundo Sin Rumbo are really sick. I don't know if this is battle music or not, but it could easily be something of that sort. I think they're a little too faded in the background in my opinion, and should be a titch louder, but other than that (and the way the clip ends, unless you're using it as a loop) this is my favorite one so far.

> The Eccentric Fool reminds me a little of RuneScape, but that's not bad at all. In my opinion, RuneScape has some great music. And I loved remembering all the fun I used to have with a bunch of friends from middle school tearing into goblins, spiders, and other monsters. I could see this as like, and overworld theme or something. Man, this one is really great. It also slightly reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics a little, because of the violins.

> Eternal Paradox is really creepy from the get-go. Yet it has a finality about it. Like being in dialogue with a major boss or something along those lines. All of the faint sounds in the background are a little too faint again for me, but I still like them a lot.

> Did you put delay on the chimes or whatever they're called in "Across those hills"? Because that is really awesome haha. I'm a huuuuge fan of delay on guitar, and to hear it on chimes made me smile so much. This is a really peaceful song that reminded me of being in a city in like, Legend of Mana. Really awesome.

I listened to the rest of them, I promise, but I'm just too lazy to really critique them right now haha. I promise I'll get back to it later! But overall, for not having any professional schooling, you really have a good ear and a solid sense of how things work. But I really didn't hear anything action-packed save for one or two songs, which is what I usually look for in composers. I guess, if I'm going to spend most of my time battling in an RPG, I want the music to be awesome, so I'm rather picky about that. Keep up the good work!

Skyler":f2m2etc4 said:
I'm going to try to give you feedback on each song, because you really have a ton of talent here, and potential to get even better :) I'm not a musical prodigy or anything, but I play guitar in a band, so I kinda know a couple things about composing songs, but not much more than the average joe. So here we go!

> I listened to the first song on the list, Crystallinum Testa, and it instantly reminded me of Alundra 2 for the PS1, in a good way. That game is a classic that I hold dear to my heart, and you really brought back a lot of memories in that short 1:39-long composition.

> Centum Viginti is something that reminded me of beating the final boss(es) in Kingdom Hearts 1 and that whole ending. I think that is the first time I ever cried over a video game ending, and the music really sold it. I really like this piece. It seems sad, but at the same time, there's a chilling vibe to it. I dig it.

> The drums in Vagabundo Sin Rumbo are really sick. I don't know if this is battle music or not, but it could easily be something of that sort. I think they're a little too faded in the background in my opinion, and should be a titch louder, but other than that (and the way the clip ends, unless you're using it as a loop) this is my favorite one so far.

> The Eccentric Fool reminds me a little of RuneScape, but that's not bad at all. In my opinion, RuneScape has some great music. And I loved remembering all the fun I used to have with a bunch of friends from middle school tearing into goblins, spiders, and other monsters. I could see this as like, and overworld theme or something. Man, this one is really great. It also slightly reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics a little, because of the violins.

> Eternal Paradox is really creepy from the get-go. Yet it has a finality about it. Like being in dialogue with a major boss or something along those lines. All of the faint sounds in the background are a little too faint again for me, but I still like them a lot.

> Did you put delay on the chimes or whatever they're called in "Across those hills"? Because that is really awesome haha. I'm a huuuuge fan of delay on guitar, and to hear it on chimes made me smile so much. This is a really peaceful song that reminded me of being in a city in like, Legend of Mana. Really awesome.

I listened to the rest of them, I promise, but I'm just too lazy to really critique them right now haha. I promise I'll get back to it later! But overall, for not having any professional schooling, you really have a good ear and a solid sense of how things work. But I really didn't hear anything action-packed save for one or two songs, which is what I usually look for in composers. I guess, if I'm going to spend most of my time battling in an RPG, I want the music to be awesome, so I'm rather picky about that. Keep up the good work!

Well, I leave for a while and when I come back I find a song by a song kick-ass review. O.O Thanks thanks thanks! This is the kinda thing I look for, I want to know what others really hear besides my own ears, but it is not easy it seems, and with the songs you reviewed you actually put effort into it. Thanks again!

Crystallinum Testa - The Alundras... what great games indeed. I actually came up with this theme after listening to the Desert Overworld music from New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii. O__o

Centum Viginti - Ahh... KH the first ending. Yeah, really sad, took a tear or two from me eye as well. This was meant to be a sweet and sad but I think it turned out to be more sad than anything else. :P

Vagabundo Sin Rumbo (The Aimless Wanderer) - Thanks about the drums. :3 I was trying to go for march kind of feel with the drums. I will take heed to yer advice and make the drums stand out a little more! And yes all of these songs are going to be loops, that's why some of the endings are strange. Plus I haven't adapted them for looping just yet, so they are kind of raw when they end.

The Eccentric Fool - Overworld theme eh? Curious idea. I actually do not have currently a specific place for this. But I do have a possible overworld theme that I did not post. I will post it though.

Eternal Paradox - Yes, I went for the dark feel in this song all the way. I was inspired by Tales of Eternia's title screen song to make this. :) I do gotta ask what do you mean by "All of the faint sounds in the background"? I do not think I put any SFX on this song.

Across Those Hills - Yes sir. Heavy ping - pong delay here on a Glockenspiel. :3 Wow Legend of Mana though? Now I am really flattered. :B

And yes, I do not have many action like themes posted. To tell you the truth they give a little trouble. Kinda embarrassing. So I don't think they are good enough to post. -__- But I do try, I hope to get over this bump with time! I will post all of the action like themes I got in the days to come.

And again, I am really grateful for yer time here. Really looking forward to more of yer reviews!

Update 8/26/2012:

Dreaming Bay

Sweet Traditions and Prosper

Vagabundo Sin Rumbo (New Edit)

Final Menu

Don't Cry

Marching On

Spellbound Endeavor

Deserted Moon

Purple Coma

The Beautiful Assassin

As always, thanks for yer time. :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.