Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Misc character sprites from my project

My project is an open-ended RPG where the player can tailor their character to their own tastes, which includes picking a race to play as. It's set in my own Emaria fantasy world, for which I've taken a lot of steps to distance it from the normal fantasy you'd encounter. For each of the five races, there's two genders with three appearances each. I figured I'd post the thirty resulting character sprites, if anyone wants to use them, and maybe see what people think.

Huge credits to Ammom for the Ragnarok-based heads, and Etolier for the lizard-heads. I also based the Dragonian skin palette on Gozaru's desert-dweller characters.

First are my Emarions. I've done all I can to distance them from typical fantasy elves, since they fall more into niches filled by humans in most fantasy. Still, pointed ears, blond or white hair, and angular features makes that hard. They're split into two sub-races, Northern and Southern, which by the point the game takes place, doesn't mean much anymore except what skin and hair colour to expect.
Emarionm01.png
Emarionm02.png
Emarionm03.png
Emarionf01.png
Emarionf02.png
Emarionf03.png

Second, the Bangar. These didn't go so smoothly, since I'm a terrible spriter. After several attempts at horns and spines I just gave up and recoloured them a bit to make them stand out from each other a little more. This is even worse as, canonically, Bangar are more physically diverse than the other races due to their origins. Anyway, they're lizard-looking, technically mammalian swamp-dwellers that come in all the colours of the greenish-yellow-sometimes-blue. What more could you want? Also: yes, the name is based on the Bangaa from Final Fantasy's Ivalice, but that's about it. They're more salamander than lizard. Males first, females second, not that it should matter if you choose to use them.
Bangarm01.png
Bangarm02.png
Bangarm03.png
Bangarf01.png
Bangarf02.png
Bangarf03.png

Third, the Aerai. They can fly, which is a plus, but they also have hollow bones, which sort of makes them like Joker from Mass Effect. Also, some of them are born without wings but still get to deal with the bones. To compensate, they're extremely agile and magical, but it doesn't always help. Some Aerai have birdlike feet as well, but I wasn't willing to try spriting that with literally sixteen pixels to work with, so that, like the Emarions' pointed ears, will have to just be implied. Aerais' featherlike hair is always brown, but doesn't necessarily match their wings.
Aeraim01.png
Aeraim02.png
Aeraim03.png
Aeraif01.png
Aeraif02.png
Aeraif03.png

Fourth, the Dragonian Humans. In Emaria, humans exist, and were the first sapient race to touch Azureus, but they are largely violent, racist barbarians who keep to their own continent and kill each other there. Dragonians were one of the two factions to leave, and upon landing on the northern shores of Viridia, found mountain ranges and deserts that more or less matched the climate of their own home. They look about as you'd expect: dark skin to absorb the suns' heat, dark brown or black hair to keep their heads cool; but I like to think that in the live-action adaptation they'd all talk like Christopher Walken doing an Al Pacino impression. Or a German accent. Either way.
Dragonianm01.png
Dragonianm02.png
Dragonianm03.png
Dragonianf01.png
Dragonianf02.png
Dragonianf03.png

Fifth, the Lyn Humans. They sailed the other direction from Crim and found something totally different from what they're used to, but being an isolationist warrior race decided to adapt rather than look for something else. They built their primary stronghold between two icy mountains, so as to only need one massive wall, and dotted the landscape south of that with further forts. Lyn are uniquely (at least for the Viridia races) unable to use magic, and so have two of the five classes cut off from them in the game. They're all fair-skinned, but can have any sort of blond, red, or brown hair colour.
Lynm01.png
Lynm02.png
Lynm03.png
Lynf01.png
Lynf02.png
Lynf03.png

And, that's basically it. I tried to cover a wide range of colour schemes for the characters, so players could choose what they most like based on that or any other factors. I'll be working on NPC graphics as I get to them, though I'm not sure when that'll be or what resources I'll use for them.

Remember to credit Ammom for the hair sprites or Etolier for the lizard heads. I myself don't require credit, nor do I care about reposting or any of that nonsense.

I would appreciate it if mods would not change the graphics to imgzoom tags so that they'll stay all in a neat row instead of a massive list. It's not like the spritework is anything but heads that have already been seen/posted on top of (sometimes) recoloured RTP bodies.

I absolutely love your alternate skin tones. I can never get it quite right and it's something widely missing from RM games.

Is my favourite I think. It looks nice and realistic.

Totally free to use. Just credit Ammom for the humanoids and/or Etolier for the Bangar.

I myself am not asking for credit if you use any of them, because I want to see a return to the old ways of doing things, RM2k/3 era, when people understood that the reward for creating for the community was that people used what you made.

Alas, I don't speak for Ammom or Etolier, so they still need credit. Might want to put in Gravity for the inspiration behind the RO-based heads as well, though they can't claim copyright on a set of hair styles so it's up to you.

I would have gotten to work on the NPCs from my project and posted some of them here, as well, but I got sick for a few days and now have an impending wedding, so it may be a while.

regi

Sponsor

These are all quite excellent frankensprites! Nicely done, with great variety too.

Only comments would be that the 2nd Dragonian's hair isn't quite shaded right, and that the lizard heads need some work (back looks slightly pillowshaded, and the colors aren't quite RTP-style). But I understand Etolier and others made them, so I guess it's not your problem.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.