Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Making a secret Base/Hideout with moveable furniture!

In this tutorial i am going to show you how to make your own secret
base with furniture to move around.

1.Making a map
There is really no limitations on how big you make your map, But if you make
it too big you will find it difficult to make enough furniture to fill it and you will
end up making it a bit 'empty'.

Here is my example
map.png

as you can see I have also added the events which I will explain in a minute

2.Making the items
Now as your movable furniture has to be an event it means we will have to make a
character set all that we need to do is take some furniture
from some of the tilesets (As making furniture rotatable would be very difficult and
require lots of image creation we will just keep them facing forward.)

Here is my example
secretbaseextras.png
N.B I used the 'Support 08' Character set for the editing

3.Placing the items
Now you need to place your items around the secret base. You may find some items
(like my table and wardrobe will need more than 1 event to put the whole item down
this is fine and does not matter).Make sure aonly the
'Lock Facing' box is ticked (this will stop odd changes when you start to move the
item.)

Here is my example
maplabbeled.png

The 'controller' is needed for the next section.

4.Making the movement
Now we will make it so you can move the furniture. First make an event, this will be the controller
(see image in last section.) now first find out the event name of the thing you want to move.
Eventlab.png
Now go back to your 'controller' and make some conditional branches.

E.G 'What do you want to move?'
Chair
Table
Wardrobe
Others

Now you need to make another conditional branch under one of the options from above
I will use 'wardrobe'. Under this put another conditional branch:

E.G 'Which way?'
Left
Up
Right
Down

under each of these you need to put a move event, so for the 'Left' option we would have
to make a move event. In the top lef corner change it from 'player' to the number we looked
at earlier. Then say 'move left' as this is under the move left conditional branch. If there is more
tham one event that makes up the whole wardrobe make sure you put a movement for that
event too.
After the move events we will put in something to make it skip back to the item choice.
After your move events put a 'jump to label' and give it a suitable name (mine is called
movement) the above the first conditional branch you made put a 'label' called the same thing.

Here is my example
Events.png

this is just the wardrobe event so you can add more for other furniture.

There is only one draw back with this system and that is there is no way of keeping the
items where they are once you leave the base. If anyone could help me out with that?
(Preferably not with scripts as the only ruby i have heard of is red shiny and good in necklaces!)
but feel free to PM me anyways. Enjoy! :smile:

Mars

Well, for making it stay in place, you could set up a variable system that tracks the coordinates of the furniture, and moves it there automatically when you walk in. I've done that for other events such as like.. Moving boulders and all that. Anyways, looks good! Nice job.

Oh my god this would take a year to move everything. I made a system like this and it worked better. You didn't have to move each piece one at a time and it saved each piece in its position after you walked off the map. This is a good alternative way though.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.