Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Make a simple WindowSkin!

Brilliant! But the selection Box's gradient isn't that great as a bilinear. Make it linear and that should be better.
I'll edit the Tutorial with something about using bilinear.

Xilef":1a07js7l said:
Brilliant! But the selection Box's gradient isn't that great as a bilinear. Make it linear and that should be better.
I'll edit the Tutorial with something about using bilinear.
Thank you!  ;D I wasn't really pleased with the selection box, but I couldn't quite place the reason.

That's great, though green isn't usually a good colour for a window skin. Your daggers seem like you were trying something a bit advanced. Simplicty is usually best. You have some errors with the pink transparency colour around one of the keys.

Oh yes, and in my tutorial I think I said about having the selection box gradient going in the same direction and the background gradient, it isn't usually a good idea.

I have a question,
for when u hit x and it opens up the menu, with all your characters, can u set your skin to be transparent, and then you could see the game map while ur in the menu?

___

Sponsor

Hey, this is a really good example of how to create a simple window skin.  I'd like it if you'd include a short explanation of how exactly the orange and red segments behave in regard to each other and the corners on the border, even though you're not intending to use them in the tutorial.  Useful information for the rest of us :)  Of course if you want to save it for an advanced tutorial later that's fine.

Also, in reply to questions about more complicated borders, you can always just create an image that overlays on the window.  For instance, make your boxy window skin, but then if you wanted for instance a flourish on the top right corner.  Make the flourish as a seperate image, create a common event that loads it and places it, and then another that removes it and call those before and after each dialog.  This is a little clumsy but requires no scripting whatsoever, just basic use of the event system. :)

If all you're wanting to do is change the color scheme, you just have to use a program like the gimp, export the default window skin, colorize it, then import it back into the game.
This may not be what you're doing, but some of the ones people did looked very similar to the default window skin, only with a different color scheme.

sodapop448":dzi3xi2w said:
I have a question,
for when u hit x and it opens up the menu, with all your characters, can u set your skin to be transparent, and then you could see the game map while ur in the menu?

I asked something similar myself in the RGSS support forum recently, though I only asked about making the map show through (I found out about making the message windows transparent by looking through some of the default scripts).

Basically, in the script for the menu (I think it's Scene_Menu), go to 'def_main' and paste "@spriteset = Spriteset_Map.new" underneath it. This replaces the black background behind the menu with the actual map.

Then, go to the message box you want to change (for example, the message box with all the menu choices is called "@command_window"), and write this underneath it:
xxxxxxxxxx.back_opacity = 160
Replacing the x's with the message box (for example, making the menu choices transparent would be "@command_window.back_opacity = 160"). I choose 160 as that is the same level of opacity used in the normal message boxes when characters are talking.

Hope that helped.

Here's Mine
windowr.png

misk

As anyone got a pokemon windows skin? as i am trying to make a pokemon rip :tongue: and i would like to add the right windows and anyone know how to remove the party window? i just want the menu to have save and exit and close menu.

thanks guys all the skins i seen are kool :biggrin:

Now that is some snazy stuff. Very useful ill give it a go later.

You should open a Topic for people to show you wat they have done :thumb:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.