Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Looking for a special isometric movement system

Hi! I'm looking for a very specific isometric movement system (8-directional) for a vehicle system in my game.

It has to have the following features
  • isometric movement that can be turned on and off through a script
  • poses for each direction

Basically, I want the vehicles to move in 8 directions, not the player. The only way the player can move in 8 directions is by jumping in a vehicle and taking off. Also, I would like to have each direction to have its own sprite pose (eg: if the vehicle is facing North-East, a North-Eastern facing pose is shown)

To help illustrate the point, here are some example pictures.

http://images.cjb.net/fb9b0.png[/img]
as you can see here, the player on foot can
only move in the four standard directions

http://images.cjb.net/4b588.png[/img]
but when the player enters the car, he can
move in 8 directions, each with their own pose.

I don't need any sprites, just the system, I have the sprites already made up.

Any help with this would be absolutely great as I am really REALLY stuck.

i have tried this with Derwulfman's script, and Dubealex's script, and it dosen't work that way, for some reason or another it just stays on 8 directional movement even when its turned off.

Ok, what you should probably do is create an "if" statement around the entire script.  If a certain switch is on, the script will activate.  Just leave nothing under the "else."  I tried it myself, but as I've said, I suck with script (I always get error messages).  If you know how to indicate a certain switch, you're set, though.  Good luck!

(btw, how do you specify a certain switch?)

Code:
$game_switches[i]
i would imagine, where "i" is the event id. Im gonna test this out and see if it works, if it does, i'll post it as a script in the submitted scripts section.

Well, I got it half working, mind you I haven't implemented the different poses yet. I kinda ran into a problem if anyone knows how to fix this. (It could just be bad scripting on my part)

in Game_Player, after this:
Code:
case Input.dir4
  when 2
     move_down
  when 4
     move_left
  when 6
     move_right
  when 8
     move_up
  end

add this:
Code:
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Edit by Mr_Grey, Switchable multidirectional movement
#----------------------------------------------------------------------
if $game_switches[1] == true
  if Input.press?(Input::DOWN) & Input.press?(Input::LEFT)
    move_lower_left
  elsif Input.press?(Input::DOWN) & Input.press?(Input::RIGHT)
    move_lower_right
  elsif Input.press?(Input::UP) & Input.press?(Input::LEFT)
    move_upper_left
  elsif Input.press?(Input::UP) & Input.press?(Input::RIGHT)
    move_upper_right
  end
end

To switch over to 8 directional movement, switch 0001 has to be on, you can change this to anything you like, just by editing the number in the brackets after $game_switches.

The problem now is that when the player moves diagnonally, he moves all choppy, in a series of jerks. (Try it out, you'll see what I mean) As this is for a vehicle system, and moreover an automobile system, this just isn't gonna cut the mustard. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to run smoothly?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.