Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Lockpicking Minigame v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eilei

Sponsor

Lockpicking Minigame v1.0

I know it looks like the Oblivion lockpicking game, but it's completely different in play. You have to move the tumbler pins up and down to get the breaks on all the pins lined up with the break in the lock. Moving some pins causes others to move, so it's really an easy logic puzzle and not a reflexes test. I believe all boards are solvable, but I haven't mathematically proved it. If you find a board that's not solvable, please post the details and I'll try to adjust the algorithm accordingly.

Features
  • Varying difficulty levels involving different numbers of tumblers and more cascading pin movement
  • No preset puzzles; the chances of getting two identical puzzles decreases very rapidly with higher difficulties.
  • Easily integrated with events, as shown in the demo

Screenshot
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9097/screenshotvh8.th.jpg[/IMG]

Download
Download the Demo here.

To Do List
  • Add an optional timer
  • Add the choice of a Thief-like view in addition to the current Oblivion-like view
  • Save and restore previous background music
Legalese
This script is copyright me, as specified in the script comments, and is being distributed under GNU copyleft. Essentially, that means you can download it and edit it all you want for free, as long as you aren't selling it.

===================================

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

Wow! AWESOME Man! You are the best (that I know of) of making minigames! I was addicted of your potion minigame (Still am) and this new minigame is heaps cool! Keep up the good work!

Eilei

Sponsor

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Aravesque;276977 said:
This is awesome, I could add this to my game if its okay with ya?

As long as you're not using my script in something you're selling, you can do almost anything you want with it. See GNU Copyleft for more information.

Jaide

Another excellent minigame. ^_^ The harder levels I actually got extremely frustrated with and eventually had to give up on them lest I completely blow off my entire evening. XD This, while it doesn't SOUND good, is in fact a good thing because it means that the game was good enough to play to a point of annoyance. :P

Its cool, but not all the boards work for me. There are boards, that a pin moves 2 blocks, you know what I mean, up or down. Sometimes you cant get the lines right that way. EDIT: Sorry, my fault. I solved that board, but not gonna say how you do it. Than is the fun off it.
EDIT2: Woot, just solved the insane one.

Eilei

Sponsor

Mr_Smit;278452 said:
Its cool, but not all the boards work for me. There are boards, that a pin moves 2 blocks, you know what I mean, up or down. Sometimes you cant get the lines right that way. EDIT: Sorry, my fault. I solved that board, but not gonna say how you do it. Than is the fun off it.
EDIT2: Woot, just solved the insane one.

Further analysis on my part shows that some of the boards ARE unsolvable, unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be a way around that without drastically modifying the cascading tumbler algorithm. However, most of them are, and I also deliberately set up the game so there is no penalty for canceling and reentering except lost time.

Jaide

You have such a knack for these, truly. You should make your own version of a fishing minigame; lots of people use those, and there are a lot of possibilities. :)

This may be stupidity on my part but is't possible to make the player succeed in completing the minigame to say teleport through a door or gain an item?
I am probably doing something wrong but if i press Esc once started the minigame I still get the reward. Great minigame btw.

Eilei

Sponsor

Nortos;280856 said:
This may be stupidity on my part but is't possible to make the player succeed in completing the minigame to say teleport through a door or gain an item?
I am probably doing something wrong but if i press Esc once started the minigame I still get the reward. Great minigame btw.

Check out how the chests in the demo are set up. You can tell the script to change a global switch or a self-switch to ON if the minigame is completed successfully. Use that as a condition for the event you want to occur.

DON'T check the switch on the same event page as the script. The $scene change doesn't go through until too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.