Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Legend of Dragoon-esque transformation system

Hello! Lately, I've been working on a game called Gaia Legends, and one of my trump cards is a somewhat-unique transformation system that I need help with.

Later on in the game, Mardin, the main character, gets a hold on a special article of clothing called the Gaia Cloak, which, during battle, allows him to transform into monsters, which have special abilities that can only be used while in those forms. In a way, it's like the Legend of Dragoon transformation system.

To be able to take on a certain form, Mardin has to have a TransOrb equipped. That TransOrb will allow him to take a specific form. Needless to say, I want to have numerous TransOrbs in the game so the player can use active strategy. To be able to do the transformation in battle, however, Mardin has to accumulate enough Spirit Points (SP for short; in this game, I refer to Skill Points as MP, so SP and MP are two different kinds of points), which I want to have obtained through attacking enemies and taking damage.

To sum it all up, I would like to have these features to make it work:

*A customizable system that allows the player to equip and re-equip TransOrbs to be able to take on various transformations

*A point system that has points accumulate when damage is either given or taken

*A gauge that tells the player how much SP has been accumulated at that point in time, preferrably in battle

*A system that adjusts the maximum SP that Mardin can have at one time whenever the player changes an equipped TransOrb. For instance, if Mardin already has the LAVA TransOrb equipped (which has an SP cap of 500), and he later on equips the PHASE TransOrb (SP cap: 300), then the cap would change from 500 to 300.

*A Dismiss command that allows Mardin to change back to normal anytime

*Something that changes Mardin back to normal right after the battle ends if the player wins a battle with Mardin still in a transformed state. However, I intend on having the transformation forms be able to level up much like regular characters do, so I would like a way to have it so the transformation gets the experience, not Mardin.

If anyone can help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate it! Heck, if you took the time to read my request, I greatly appreciate it. People who help me out will be mentioned in the credits. Thank you for reading. :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.