Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Last Kiss. A steampunk PnP RPG.

Since there is no PnP board, yet, I have decided that this is the best place to put it. I haven't given up on Dungeon Crawler, Last Kiss is something to think about and design when I don't have my RPG maker.

Last Kiss is being designed by me and has only really got off the ground this afternoon.

Right now the game play mechanics are what I am working on, once that is all done I can start working on the background and some starter campaigns.

What I have so far

The game will be played by using six sided dice, as these can be bought from most big shops.

The character creation will have various stats ranging from 1-10 (1-6 for strength if female) that will be decided by rolling dice. Before you ask "how will that work?" I have decided that the best way would be to roll three six sided dice. Two counting as a D3, 1-2 on the D3 counting as 0, which would give a number between 1 and 10. Luck is rolled on one six sided dice as it has a base of 4. Sub stats have a maximum of 5 and a minimum of 0 are dependent on stats, every two points in the linked stat, logic would be linked to intelligence, the "personal" max is raised by one. After all, is some one that has an intelligence of 2 really going to be adept at puzzle solving? Sub stats are equal to the natural maximum limit. I.e someone with intelligence 6 would have a logic score of 3. There are more linked stats but that is just an explanation.

There are also things like: Looks, eye sight and others that can deteriorate with age. Yes, Last kiss has problems that can come about because your character is too old. The maximum starting age is 70. Though only scientist characters would be that old. These are also done on a d6+d3 1-2=0 on D3 basis. There are also ways to deal with obesity or lack of training. Looks and Trained Fitness, respectively, would suffer because of it.

When the stats are chosen, the player then does: Luck + Charisma x 3. This gives the player a certain amount of quality points that are spent on the character's upbringing (Characters can be sixteen at the youngest) and this effects "pseudo-stats" (see below), talents and are also used to trade in for cash that can be used to buy things during character creation.

Pseudo stats are stats that are not natural, but not trained either. These are little ways or tricks that give the appearance of, say, strength for instance. If the character was brought up in the workhouses as a labourer, he would learn that by standing a certain way, he could lift more than if he stood normally. If the character was born into aristocracy, she might have been brought up to stand and talk and walk a certain way that gives an element of grace, giving pseudo charisma. Perhaps the character was the son of a code cracker and often cracked some codes himself, giving pseudo logic. Pseudo stats have a maximum of six and a character may have only two pseudo stats, perhaps the aforementioned aristocrat was a spy and made sure his daughter was always aware of what was going on around her, giving that character 6 points of pseudo charisma and 5 points of pseudo awareness.

When all the quality points are spent or converted into cash, the player then chooses the characters age, this reflects the experience and skills that the characters have learnt over the years. Stats and sub stats cannot be increased but you can have a "trained" set of stats, trained stats and sub stats start at half the characters natural stats and sub stats rounded up. So someone with natural charisma 9 would have a starting trained stat of 5, this is because of an aptitude for that stat and it would thus be simple to learn. Most skills are equal to sub stats, fencing would be equal to finesse, which is half of dexterity. As such it is best to train stats first and skills second, as trained stats and natural stats are added together to give the half for skills. Skills have a limit of Sub stat + trained sub stat x 2.

That's all I got for now. Any criticisms or comments are welcomed.

I think the first problem I spot with this occured here:
Last Kiss is being designed by me and has only really got off the ground this afternoon.

This shows. In fact, it almost looks like you thought up the rules as you typed them: such as what Prexus noted, specifically that female characters are limited in their strength. Obviously, we are all aware that traditionally speaking males are the predominantly `physically strong` gender in history, however I disagree with giving them a hindrance without providing them any sort of compensation. Although you might be trying to be realistic with your system, you need to understand that this is after all a game people will hopefully play for enjoyment. Thus, if people who choose to play female characters are just weaker for the sake of being weaker, why would you choose to be a female character? Either way: I enjoy your aspect of pseudo-stats, it's pretty neat and could give some depth to the characters. But really, what are you aiming to accomplish with this PnP RPG? It seems that your title suggests some form of goal in sight, ie. Last Kiss doesn't sound like something that happens over and over again, whereas typically PnP RPGs have much more open-ended names, ie. Dungeons & Dragons. Are you aiming for a set of quests, and specific dungeons for players to play through, or are you looking to set up the rules and allow the players to create their own universe?

Either way, I hope you put some thought into this and finish it if it's truly what you want to do.
Oh, and please re-organize the topic: trust me. It's already an obscure enough project because of the nature of PnP falling into disuse, and something like this needs to be presented as professionally as possible to stand a chance because everybody's so graphically/visually focused these days.

Anyways, good luck!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.