Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

LAN Game Script

I am interested in the vague possibility of a somewhat online game with RPG Maker XP. Not fully online as in MMORPG, but just so that my two roommates and I could connect, using a LAN connection, or Hamaichi or something, to play the game together. It doesn't even need to be able to split the screens- everyone can stay on the same screen. I saw that there was a script for two people to be able to play on the same computer, and that there was a discussion about MMO possibility, but I couldn't find anything like this.

If anyone knows if it has ever been done, or if it could be done, please, I would appreciate any information. Thanks for your time.

Seto

If you know any scripting you could probably do it yourself.

My suggestion of how to do it is as follows:
1. Set up file sharing with your Lan or Hamaichi.
2. Then set up 1 event for each of your players.
3. Write up a small script that writes basic information about each player to a text file that everyone can access. E.g. each players map x and y positions.
4. Then get the event to read this information and move to the point were the other player is on their screen.

You could do the same kind of thing for battling, write the stats to the file then read them and override the stats of the monster you are battling with the stats of your friend. You would also need to write what attack they used and how much damage it caused then get you screen to play the battle animation and do the damage. Most of this could be done via events and would only leave a small amount of scripting :D. 

The scripting to do this is pretty basic and you could probably learn to do it with in a few hours.

Hope of could be of some help.

That doesn't sound too bad...

I will see what I can come up with. I'm really still a beginner with the whole scripting thing. Most of my experience is just with changing a few variables here and there to make things fit better. But I will work on it. I'll read some tutorials.

Thanks a lot for your help.

If I do get anything, I'll be sure to post.

Seto

I know a few good tutorials and have a few pieces of script that could help. If you send me a Pm I would be more then happy to work on this script with you :D.

It's Meâ„¢ Anyway. But the thing you want can already be accomplished with lets say Netplay 2. What you do is you set up the server at your local ip adres - do NOT route the port (so other peolpe from other computers NOT in your LAN can NOT connect) and you set the ServerIP variable in the User Edits in your client to match your LAN IP.

But the New Netplay will have some sort of same option yes.

Hey, is SirJames or someone still working on this? It'd be great if we could make rpg:s for, say, two or three players. I've tried netplay +, netplay 2, and all the other rmxp netplay scripts too, but they just dont seem to work as i'd like to.

Anyways, if someone is still working on it, i can try to help.

I'm not actively working on it at this time. I'm working more on the general structure of my game, while fiddling around a bit with Ruby, to learn how to script better/at all. However, I do plan on doing this at some point in the future still. I will let you know when I do start back into it again.

Great ^^  I think I should do the same with my project :3 I was just cautious about doing anything to it as i didn't knew wether it would be possible to go multiplayer and it's pretty essential to my game so...... well anyway, let me know when/if you start with it, i'll inform too if i come up with something.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.