Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Implementing cards into battle system, possible?

This request is for Rpg maker VX

Alright, I'm using the melody engine battle system, and I want the magic or skills to be very heavily based in cards, like a card game.
The farthest I have gotten is having a certain card pop up, and flip over before the skill is used. In the game, its not magic, just cards you use. And you equip a certain deck to give certain cards, which have certain abilities.

I was wondering How to change this, Maybe a script that starts a character out with a certain number of cards, lets say 60, which represent skills in the games data base. Now lets say that at the beginning of the battle you randomly have 4 of these skills available and each turn after that the character gains on more randomly.
I guess you could just set it to where once you use 60 skills you lose, to make it easier than setting up a skill bank.

And these skills that randomly come up are based on a deck you have equipped (accessory) So depending on which, it will give you different skills that you can use and randomly receive through the battle until you reach 60.

Also these 'cards' would be displayed somewhere on the battlefield, represented by a picture of the card, and once you select that card, the image is removed. and the next turn its replaced with another random skill, according to the skill set you're allowed to use based on the deck equipped.

Now, the cards would just affect the enemy directly, just like normal skills, so no need to change that mechanic. Basically, this is just changing how those skills are displayed and gained in battle.

Even if I had to stop using the melody engine battle system, for like, a basic looking battle so this proposed script could even be attempted or used, I would love it intensely.

NOW, i have no clue if this is possible with eventing, a would assume not but if someone thinks it could I would love help with that too.

ANYWAY just wondering if someone could point me towards an existing script, or would take the time to examine my request and think about doing this. I appreciate any feedback or replies. Thanks.

[EDIT] If this is beyond basic scripting, then is there a way to seperate certain items into another menu in battle? Like.. in battle you select cards, and it takes you to JUST the items designated as cards, and then you can use one of those cards, which is an item that ill make use a skill? Because from there, I could set it up how I want through basic events which I can already see what I would need to do. Anyway, Replies to either one. THANKS!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.