Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How to remove RMXP limits?

200 frames of skill animation is a little lacking for most of my ripped summon animation, and so is 999 item, monsters, skill. I saw a script before that changes the game.exe to break such limitations. Is it possible o.oa

This is more scripting related that anything else, but it's actually very easy to expand the array size for game data such as actors, enemies, etc.
I'm not sure about the maximum number of frames for an animation but the process should be the same.

All you need is a little script that you run once. Lets say you want to have 5000 battle animations, all you need to do is to load the animation data and add as many RPG::Animation objects in it as you want.
[ruby] 
$data_animations = load_data("Data\\Animations.rxdata") # Here we are loading the animation data
amount = 5000 - $data_animations.size # Here we are calculating how many RPG::Animation objects we want to add to reach 5000
# Here we are looping x times (x is the amount calculated above) and each time we push a new data in our $data_animations array
for i in 0..amount
  $data_animation << RPG::Animation.new
end
save_data($data_animations, "Data\\Animations.rxdata") # And we finally save the data
exit # this will exit the game automatically after the process is completed.

[/ruby]

All you need to do is to add this in Main, under begin, run your game (it will close automatically) and then remove this portion of code.
Close RMXP and reopen it and voila! You will have 5000 battle animations.

I found a script that expands anything database wise (actors, enemies, etc.) The method you have given is for increasing the 200 frame limit to 5000 (or less) right?

I tried to do it but it gives me this error:
2hyb1o4.jpg

Thanks for looking into it.

Of I forgot an S at the end of $data_animation.
What I've given you is to expand the database, but the process would be similar if you want to expand the frame limit.

Here's a modified version that should increase the frame limit.
[ruby] 
$data_animations = load_data("Data\\Animations.rxdata") # Here we are loading the animation data
amount = 5000 - $data_animations.size # Here we are calculating how many RPG::Animation objects we want to add to reach 5000
# Here we are looping x times (x is the amount calculated above) and each time we push a new data in our $data_animations array
for i in 0..amount
  anim = RPG::Animation.new # Creating a new Animation object
  anim.frame_max = 1000 # Changing the frame limit of this animation
  $data_animations << anim # Adding the animation to the database list
end
save_data($data_animations, "Data\\Animations.rxdata") # And we finally save the data
exit # this will exit the game automatically after the process is completed.

[/ruby]

This will increase the max animations to 5000 and the frame limit of the new animations to 1000
I can't test it but it should work :)

Take care!
-Dargor

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried it, all the steps worked except its still on the 200 frame limit o.o

And I got this weird reoccurring error of my RMXP unable to make color black transparent and it makes the transparent appear as black O.O

v4bj35.jpg

You can't manually reach the limit in the editor but if you look at any of the newly created animations, you'll see that their frame number is now 1000. I was able to reach 9999 and it's technically possible to go even further.

Oh yeah O.O I didn't even bother looking at the new one ^^;

Thanks a lot. Does it make a game laggy with lots of frames and stuffs o.O

@Kiraashi
Actually the game is divided into three books. Since all of them are using the same system, I want everything ready so I can just focus on making the actual game o.oa

*EDIT*
Seems like I can't make an animation o.O making the first frame is fine but when you click the 2nd frame it will show exactly whats on the first frame and will crash if you try to click it O.O

2465che.jpg

It will work fine for the RPG Data from the database, but you're right Mimi. I've got the same error as you and I don't know why.
I'm still investigating what's the problem. Maybe it's simply not 100% doable that way.

@ShinyToyGuns
This script seems to be really good but it won't expand the frame limit for an animation.

I've been working on an editor with a simple GUI in which you can expand any Database array and it works great. Except for 3 things.
You can't save the Actors and Classes arrays, probably because my Table class isn't exactly like the RGSS one. The frame limits will work but you'll get the same error Mimi Chan got when trying to edit them.

I have a lot of ideas on how to expand on the animation engine, like for example an earth skill that knocks the enemies up and down (the sprites will move up and down) or a skill that shoves them backwards. I have the basic idea on how to in my mind but I am not a scripter to actually put it into work T-T

Mimi Chan":18ze6948 said:
I have a lot of ideas on how to expand on the animation engine, like for example an earth skill that knocks the enemies up and down (the sprites will move up and down) or a skill that shoves them backwards. I have the basic idea on how to in my mind but I am not a scripter to actually put it into work T-T

On that subject, is it possible? For several of my projects I've wanted to have some kind of Throw type attacks, but without making the battlers move, it's always a little lame.

Yeah that's possible. It would be very easy to code but less easy to implement on specific animations.
Maybe a script could recognize an empty sound to trigger a specific effect on the sprite or something like that.

But this doesn't have anything to do with expanding the limits of the database. :P

Its always a plus if we can expand the animation engine o.o

I think this is how most game does the enemy sprite moving, it's by mathematical equation (ex. x-10, y-5 mean the sprite moves backward and up)

What Dargor said about the empty sound trigger is true, and most multi hit script does that. What I am thinking is the animation engine will recognize a blank frame (or a frame with a certain number) as the placement for the enemy sprite; And you can edit it in any way similar to how you edit an animation (you can zoom it in or shrink it like if you minimize skill), move them up and down so simulate earthquake. That plus making it work with Destruction Engine will give you limitless sprite altering skills (Enemy exploding? cut in half? You get the idea)

But as I said, I am no scripter >.> though is willing to pay someone to work on it o.O

Well, I have a bit of free time. I can look into it and give it a try for free. ;)
Just give me a few examples you'd like to see and I'll try to make you a little something.

But, this topic is derailing into a script request and should probably be moved.

Yay thankies ^^

Earthquake - makes the enemies bounce in relation with the shake of the of the screen.
Minimize - A status effect that minimizes the enemy to half size (since status effects are animation too)

If you can incorporate Rataime's Destruction Engine

Shattering enemies o.oa

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.