Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

How do I rewrite how a windowskin is handled?

Script Request Template
This is a request for a new script, an edit or debug of an existing script.

Script Title:
custom windowskin
RMXP or RMVX:
RMXP
Detailed Description:
I would really like to know what code to edit or what sort of script would be needed to hack the routine that defines a windowskin. Here is what I need: Cursor (non-selected) over non-selected items, Cursor (Selected) over selected items. the pixel width of a window border must be customizable as well as for cursor states as well. As a matter of fact, I really do not need rpg specific windowskin graphics.
Screen shots:
none available, do not know how to hack the skin routine, otherwise I wouldn't be here, would I?
on the other hand, the best possible skin for what I have planned is below:
windowPW3.png

and here is a mockup of how it is supposed to work:
mockup.png

button order is unselected, selected, pressed
Other Scripts I am using (in order):
I am using custom hacks of other places, such as changing window size for the message window and font size to 16. Will change font face later.
I am also using a window rescale script that I found on this message board to set the window resolution to that of a Nintendo DS and am writing dual viewport code, but wish the windowskin customization to to be complete before continuing further.
The top viewport will be usable by keyboard only, but the bottom one will have mouse function as well.

Ares

As far as I know this is handled in the hidden window class, but there are several rewrites for that.
Here's one Window rewrite I have. I found this on the web, but I have no idea who made it.
The Hidden Window class
I guess you'll have to edit the lines that look like this:
[rgss]@sprites["corner0"].src_rect.set(trimX,trimY+0,16,16)
[/rgss]

EDIT: It's too big to fit in the post :P Let me upload it.
EDIT2: Ok, it's here now :)

I can't help you realize this, I'm not that good with rgss, but I guess this is one step closer for you.

Good luck!

have anymore hidden window rect classes? they will ALL be useful. I need the bg tiled for the Window rather than stretched. I believe I can use a 16x16 block or a 32x32 block for the main BG, thus the window bg rect is also useful, that just simply makes more room in the windowskin for more graphics.
Example: Title screen/save screen/episode select scteen buttons, profile/evidence boxes, lower screen buttons, etc. Also, you provided something even more valueable in that class: A way to expand the windowskin graphic to include even more graphics, such as the lower screen bg, Cross examination buttons, maybe even the bg from the profile/evidence screen as well as the 3d examination screen art(minus the 3d images themselves, I will request a way to get MD2/MD3 models in later). I just need to redefine how all the rects behave.tiling vs. stretching. And with the new info, I might be able to define new rects which draw non-standard window types.

You probably have figured out by now that this is not even going to be an RPG, but rather, a Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney / Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney style engine.

here is an updated version of the skin file that reflects a few examples of what kind of changes I have in mind:
windowPW3-1.png

Edit: just saw that there are 2 classes not just 1

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.