Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Halloween 2015 Project

Anyone is free to contribute ideas and whatever else to this Halloween themed project.

I'll be organizing it in rpg maker vx ace since I'd like to do something with it before MV comes out. I'll also be making any resources for it - adhering to the resource standards so that anyone can use the material afterwards. Sprites, Backgrounds, Battlers. I'll work on it for the month of October but after Halloween it'll be put to rest.

It won't necessarily be a game. Although I'd like to have enough for short story. But it's entirely up to the ideas you feed me and the time that's available to me.

Please note: The RTP already contains Skeletons, Bats, and a number of other creatures. And I can point to resource blogs who have made witches and werewolves so I'm not exactly interested in reinventing the wheel. Rather than candy corn and Jack 'o Lanterns try to focus on things:

Macabre, Gothic, and the Occult.

...to fuel your imaginations. I look forward to what you come up with and I'll see what I can do.

Injury

Awesome Bro

You have to sneak around and steal blood from people in the attempt to complete your magnum opus, a painting stolen from life depicting your lost love you wish to bring back. Or something like that.

That might work.
I had been wanting to draw inspiration from Harry Clarke's ink illustrations. But I wouldn't know how to work it into game materials besides a title/gameover screen. And I'm not real fond of b&w graphics for video games.
30-clarke-faust.jpg

Harry+Clarke%25E2%2580%2599s+illustration+for+Faust+by+J.+W.+von+Goethe.jpg

I'm sure I could achieve a faded and yellowed paper look.
Harry Clarke did stain glass work too. That's much more colorful, maybe if I kept to yellows and red like Diablo 3...
tumblr_lbh7ecv3UO1qasm6mo1_500.jpg
diablo-3-game-difficulties-torments-header.jpg

I'm torn between doing something really artsy, or staying practical so that it might serve other people.

Injury

Awesome Bro

116b8c77dca9ad08448bb138065e1080.jpg

maybe something in these lines. push for something closer to a surreal and dark look, but don't sacrifice stark colors. reds and whatnot.

I like your idea of something that has that biblical depiction but kind of strays from reality a bit...

chapters of the story reveal the significance of the target your taking the blood from. it will also lend to the setup of the events in the chapter.

Maybe the painting your are trying to make could be directly from that style from the first one in blood.

edit:

suicides-and-squanderers-from-dantes-inferno-illustrated-by-gustave-dor-1361626521_b.jpg

what if the backgrounds for levels were like this? or walls in rooms have things like this ingrained in the wood?

PS: I like the idea of maybe making this short story play out like a child's story book from way back when...Intro in mind already.

If this was a game, I can imagine a battle system with like pop-up book monsters actually in the book. hrm.

I like the idea of surreal environments. But maybe not with the lost love bit since it's close to Dante's Inferno, or the Orpheus and Eurydice myth. Unless, a woman dealing for a man's life might feel different?
What else is a blood painting good for? Besides an exchange.
Lift a curse? Fulfill a prophecy? Put a soul to rest?
A demon can't return to hell without it and pesters the only artist who can make it for him. Damned if he does; Damned if he doesn't.

Injury

Awesome Bro

I can dig it.

I'm really stuck on this idea of a pop-up book based story/quasi game.

Cold dark halloween night, mother tries to get the kid to sleep and begins reading a story to the kid.

I'd say he is haunted or possessed by a demon trying to push itself to the mortal plain and needs the blood of particular sins, from different sinners. As the story moves forward, the kid moves to get the blood, but is trying to fight the possession. I think that could lead into the pop up book battles or something along those lines.

The player can move the kid through the story, and we can have the little movement tabs controlled by unseen hands moving the character on the page.

The battles can be simple as hell. The page turns to the battle scene. Tabs that show hits or whatever and damage can show up as text on the book and fade like blood.

Lots of ideas. I can't really make it all happen. I'm no good with the art side of it. Writing it would be easy and music would be fun to make. I'd do what I could.

More input from other people would be awesome. I think it's a great idea, and I especially like the art direction you might be thinking of.

BLOOD! What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing!
Say it again, say it again.

The pop-up book battles has taken root in my brain. That is a very good concept, Injury. I can see taking Mr. Clarke's work (or something appropriate) into Photoshop and antiquing them. The pop-up slowly rises to full height and we do a cross-fade through black to the battle. After the battle, cross-fade through black back to the pop-up and slowly turn the page. While I don't know enough to add a video clip into RPG Maker, I certainly know how to make a quick video clip to put there.

There used to be a script for flash files that would open the file above the game in a borderless window, and close it and resume the game after it finished playing. I haven't seen it in years though. Will be easier in MV though as we can do html5 animations or embed any kind of video.

I'm going to have to cancel this. Knowing my family, I had a feeling something like this would happen. It's already the 12th but I've only been home 5 days and it looks like I'll be gone another 4 later this week; who knows after that.

I really wanted this to be a month long thing but the way things are going I don't see me getting more than a few character portraits done.

Injury

Awesome Bro

no worries. I'm going to steal some of the ideas and go with it with a friend back home and totally credit the shit out of you

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.