Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

GOOGLE SKETCHUP RENDERING!? WHICH PROGRAM / PLUGIN TO USE?

Hi! I am working on a project in GOOGLE SKETCHUP 8. I am doing it as a schoolproject. Now I want to make an "animation" of the house where the camera moves around and scrolls around the house. I were first into scrolling around in the actual program editor, using a screen recorder, but then I learned that's not the nicest way, cause of different reasons.

So now I wonder if there is a way to RENDER my project (the SKP) so that I actually can see it in a "separate" window / program that still makes it possible to move around in the house (but NOT to edit it). You could say that I am looking for a way to RENDER it, but I am new to renderer programs and plugins, so how does it work? And the renderer programs / plugins
there is, does them only render the project FIXED, OR can it make a separate "window" where you actually can zoom and scroll the extends even outside of the program (what I NEED)?

I hope this makes sense, but to take an example of exporting / rendering a GOOGLE SKETCHUP FILE, you can import it into BLENDER 3D, that is one way, but I know thats kinda advanced:/

SO AGAIN: I wonder if there is a way to RENDER my project (the SKP) so that I actually can see it in a "separate" window / program that still makes it possible to move around in the house!

Thanks in advice

9robin3

Well, Captain Caps, you're not really going the right way about this. The way you can do camera flights in SketchUp is by using scenes. Scenes are essentially snapshots of a camera position and it's properties (such as direction, focal point, ...). So, what you're doing is create a first scene which will work as your starting point. Immediately create a second one so that you get a still frame at the beginning, which will make for a much calmer impression instead of directly launching into camera swings.
From here, create new scenes at different camera angles. You got to be aware of how the camera moves (so click around the scenes once you created a few to get a feel for it), and that every scene transition is exactly the same duration, no matter how far apart they are from each other. That, unfortunately, makes orbiting cameras very difficult (to the point where you need post-processing to get it back up to decent speed), but it's usually sufficient.
Once you're done creating all your scenes (I suggest that you use the still frame thing on the end a well), you can export them as a movie file right out of SketchUp. The cool thing here is that you can watch what you exported, and if necessary change scenes independantly, as well as change your model without losing your camera trail. It seems complicated and sturdy at first, but is definately a very cool system to work with... and good enough to get a company I used to work for a six figure contract with the help of some cool background music ;)

Be aware that all I said is true for SketchUp 6 and 5... never worked with the newer versions again since I'm in web design, but I'm assuming they didn't change the basics there.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.