Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Glowing area around character where it is color? not BW

Is there any possible way to have everything in black and white (A black and white tileset) But have one character, with a small glowing area around them where things are in color? But have them able to move around with the glowing area around them?
If this is possible, then it would greatly help me with my game.
I think something like this..
Two tilesets, one over the other. (x) Radius around event\player is the bottom map. Everything else is the top map

There must be some way you can do this.
If somebody could, that would help me a lot.
Thank you.

The only way its possible is with a script, i seen your other post where you just wanted the map black and white, which is easy by using a black and white tileset. But to have the tileset change color as you walk around that definately will need a script, and it dont sound like an easy one to make. But im no scripter so who knows it could be easy.

But yeah you might want to put a script request in.

Yeah basically it sound like you want to request a script along these lines:

Two tilesets, one over the other. (x) Radius around event\player is the bottom map. Everything else is the top map.

Ya, I was thinking of something like that, with a color map and a BW map, but I wasn't sure how to do it. I have NO clue how to make scripts though, so I'm still hoping maybe somebody could make a script for it, or find it, if there is one.

Better yet, let's just move this topic to Script Requests.

This is possible.

Suggestions for anyone who takes this request: (I just don't have enough time to complete it)

Make the tileset 2x height, with the top section in color, and the bottom section a B&W copy.
Build the map using the bottom (B&W) section.
To change a tile from B&W to Color, subtract the total # of color tiles from the values in the @map.data array.
To change a tile back to B&W, add the total # of color tiles from the values in the @map.data array
For example, the Grassland tileset has 144 tiles. (18 rows, 8 tiles per row) (in pixels, it's 256x576)
Edit the tileset graphic, double it in height (256x1152), and copy the top section to the bottom, and make it Grayscale.
Use the # 144 as the offset to change from Color to Black&White.
@map.data[x,y,layer] = <current_value> - 144

I'll attach an example that only updates the very first tile (the grass tile on layer 1) to get you started.

http://www.box.net/shared/hg4o5cuo87

Be Well

Dreamland,
Download the example, and see if it meets your requirements. It will only change the one tile (grass tile on layer 1) from B&W to Color, but it will give you an idea of what it will look / play like. (I think it's a bit choppy myself).

The rest of what I typed, and the scripts in the example are a possible starting point for someone else who may want to tackle this request.

Q: Do you want this effect for every map? or just one?
Are you talking about the player character? or an NPC?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.