Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Game Maker Game freezes and is shut down

Hi again, HBgames. I have been working on a Game Maker 8 Game for the last weeks. Now I have occured 2 strange errors I don't understand. The first is totally out of logics, the second one I recognise, but I don't know WHY it occurs. The second error is an error like this "the program has stopped working and windows is trying to find a solution to the problem". First it freezes the game and when it tries to find a solution it is just shut down. Totally.

the first error message:

291n9sx.png

the second (in game) error message:

2vtb79d.png

^in swedish ("the program has stopped working and windows is trying to find a solution to the problem."The button says: "close program")

(A THIRD ERROR APPERS SOMETIMES AS WELL):
156e04i.png

A VIDEO OF HOW MY ERROR APPEARS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzX_OMkTALg

I have heard that these errors appear if you have to large / many sprites and / or sounds, backgrounds. Is this why these errors occur or WHY do they occur? I will not be able to upload this game if these errors persists.

EDIT: I NOW have a valid bought version of GM 8.0 Pro. (had problems earlier with licencing).

Is it a stack load problem maybe? I have a lot of auto-saves in the game. If so, is there a code to REFRESH stack and DELETE "old" information? I have my objects being destroyed once 'outside room' and so on. I also have a lot of persistent objects.

I DO have persistent objects following through all rooms (about 50 rooms) though...Does that have to do with this?

Please help!

Thanks in advice!

I've spoken to my brother last night and he mentioned something about game maker. Apparently with the latest build of Game Maker, people are having trouble previewing their games. Have you updated recently or anything? I'm not sure if this is relevant, but those aren't really errors I recognize... Obviously I get the "This program has stopped working" one, but the other I don't get.
Maybe it is as you say, perhaps you have to many sprites, sounds, bgs and other stuff.
Otherwise I don't know. Hope this/someone else knows whats wrong. I would check Yoyos forums too.

Hope you get the help you need :3

I deleted some resoures and I don't come over the error as often as before. But I will update if the problems return (they don't come ALL THE TIME AFTER ALL). Thank you guys!

EDIT: The problem persists. It comes in periods.Sometimes ALL THE FREAKI'N time and sometimes not as much. Then I made 1 SPRITE bigger (600 x 400), and deleted some recources. It apperas that there are more "stuff" to load later in the game, because it works well in the first levels / rooms. Shouldn't I have resized that SPRITE?
Will it help if I upgrade to GM 8.1?

HELP PLZ!

EDIT: I have now deleted about 12 objects (& sprites), 2 sounds and 5 backgrounds and the problem keeps coming.
I can't find a thing aroudn the net why it does that. Can somebody please help? I have a cracked version of GM, but I usually DON'T encounter problems (at all!) though I have a cracked version.

Is it a stack load problem maybe? I have a lot of auto-saves in the game. If so, is there a code to REFRESH stack and DELETE "old" information?

Thanks in advice!

coyotecraft":1rhd3ls0 said:
Are the objects/projectiles being deleted once they are off screen? It's the only thing I can think of after seeing your video.

Yes I have checked that too. All bullets / ships are deleted once 'outside room'

EDIT: I DO have persistent objects following through all rooms (about 50 rooms) though...Does that have to do with this?

It could well be. I seem to remember some event commands to check how many of each event there are, this might help, just checking to see if there is an insane amount and then whittling them off as you go.

Amy":2e7ml8rc said:
It could well be. I seem to remember some event commands to check how many of each event there are, this might help, just checking to see if there is an insane amount and then whittling them off as you go.
do you know these events / codes? It would help very much!!

I have googled this and there REALLY really isn't much that comes up about a similar probem(s).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.