Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Game Maker 8.1

So Game Maker is now to be $40. :(

But it is seeing big updates.

YoYo Games have had a very busy 2010 and it’s taken us a year to update Game Maker 8, but we can now give you good news! Game Maker 8.1 is now almost ready, and coming real soon! It will feature the new update mechanism that has proven to be so popular with Game Maker for Mac, and this will allow us to deliver more updates, quicker in the future.

Many of you will be aware that we’ve grown the YoYo games team significantly in the last 12 months. To help pay for this we have decided to increase the cost of Game Maker, but we believe that current and future updates will continue to represent real value for money, and will continue to allow you to make great games, with a constantly evolving and improving product. So, for a limited time; until June 1st 2011, you will still be able to get Game Maker Standard, 8.1 for just $25 !

Game Maker Standard, 8.1 replaces Game Maker Pro, 8.0 and will be required as THE version for the Game Store publishing (which we are working on the opening very soon), and so we recommend everyone upgrades as soon as possible.

Game Maker Standard 8.1

Cost: $39.99

Current Features:

No more Softwrap!Changed room editor RIGHT mouse click priorities. Menu for normal, CTRL+RMB for deleteYou can now RIGHT CLICK an object and EDIT it from within the Room EditorYou can now use the mouse wheel to ZOOM in/out in the Room editor.Middle mouse button PANS around the roomA customisable background grid has been applied to the room editor.The Image Editor has been updated to use the mouse wheel and middle button for better zooming and panning.You can now PAN around inside the PATH editor using the middle mouse button.You can now change the default background colour for rooms (when no ROOM background has been set)You can now disable background room filling, so you can see the background GRID when no ROOM colour has been setA new and improved NEWs system, bringing together news and tech tips from across the community.New, more secure .EXE encryption.New GML commands such as draw_self() and d3d_light_define_ambient.Some custom YoYo extensions brought into the fold, such as os_type and os_device to aid multiplatform coding.Better 2D and 3D support with a 24bit ZBuffer and faster rendering.Improved code editor features include; Faster rendering Block TAB’ingBetter accented character supportEasier to use Code Completion supportCustomisable background colours.
On top of these great new features, we have also been busy fixing some of your most annoying bugs, and as always there will be a free, Lite version of Game Maker 8.1 for those of you beginning your game development careers, and who want to test the waters with this fabulous product before taking the plunge!

What does this mean for current Game Maker users?

Those of you who have already purchased Game Maker 8, you will be able to upgrade for FREE! If you are a new customer or currently using Game Maker Lite, you will be able to upgrade to the new Game Maker Standard 8.1 through our store. This will stay at the low price of $25 until the 1st June 2011. After this time, Game Maker Standard 8.1 will cost $39.99.

Current users of Game Maker 7 will still be able to continue using their product, but will have to pay to upgrade to Game Maker 8.1.

We appreciate your support and feedback and our aim for the rest of 2011 is to maintain and improve Game Maker and service, so a big thank you from us to you, from all of us here at YoYo!

Best regards,
The YoYo Team

http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=3045

Jason

Awesome Bro

I can't even remember how much I paid for Game Maker so I don't know if this is a big increase or not, lol... oh well if this update is free for me, that's cool I suppose, even though it doesn't affect me at all since I don't care for any of the things they've added in...

Is there anything amazing on that list? Biggest thing I see is faster renderings, and a little improved coding experience. Unless the things they added to the UI like right clicking were infuriating before and they've been fixed. I'm not exactly sure what in that list constitutes a higher price.

I haven't used Game Maker yet though. I have it installed, I've opened it, but I haven't really played around with it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.