Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Fuse maps

Hi this is a request for a weird script which I hope is doable.
What I am after is a script that fuses maps as if htey were one but the game counts them as seprate. Example: In my game want to make a randomly forming town that changes evry time you leave the "Map" so it looks as though the town is situated on a single map but its clipped together from multiple maps that change order so say that you enter a house on the bottom of the map with the shop next to it the town would change when you leave the house so that the shop is on the othe side of town and the house is at the top of the map. Think pokemon mystery dungeion something like that would be good thanks. Help apriciated. Thanks.

No. It looks good but I Don't mean layers. I suppose a better example is neded: There is a preset map with a space in it and there is at most basic a second map this second map is essentaly a wall but that "Wall" has to be called with the script event. Then when you enter a floor that is to be randomised a variable is randomised which is at most basic 0 or 1. the conditonal branch in the event itself will say that if the variable is one this switch activates that calls the map on this line. If its 0 this switch activates to call the second map on this line. ASCII example: 0 is a space / is a wall \ is a wall from the second map.
Map at "Rest":
/////////////
/00000000/
/00000000/
/00000000/
/00000000/
/00000000/
/00000000/
/////////////
If variable is one:

/////////////
/00000000/
/0\0\\000/
/0\0\\000/
/0\0\\000/
/0\0\\000/
/0\0\\000/
////////////
If variable is 0:
/////////////
/00000000/
/000000\0/
/000000\0/
/0\00\0\0/
/0\00\0\0/
/0\00\0\0/
////////////

Hope this helps. Thanks.

P.S My first ASCII diagram is it good?

You want your map to change depending on variables, right?
You could either
- make a couple of maps and change the transfer location depending on your variable
- Make only 1 basic map and add different layers on it depending on your variable using the script

My original intetion (The idiea not the one posted) would be to "sew" the maps together randomly but in an orderd fashion ,i.e a corridor connects to a room opening and not a wall, Perhaps that would be a better idiea?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.