Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

First learns skills by Level, then by exp

Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask for a request that change a little the way you learn skills. What Im looking for is a system in witch it is not just important to have level but participate in battles.

This is what Id like to acomplish:

First, you learn skills in the same way as standard (just by level). But when you get enough level you only start to learn the skill, and cannot use it yet. Is in this moment when the skill starts to gain exp in battle.
In the script you define manually the amount of exp needed for every skill. And thus, when you participate in battle experience does not only goes to the character but also for every skill you are learning until it is mastered.
Only when the skill has gained enough exp can it be used both in battle and in menu.

In short:
> When you learn a skill you still cannot use it.
> In battle, every learned (but not mastered) skill gains experience (the same that monsters give).
> In the script yo write down manually how much exp every skill needs to be mastered.
> Whean a skill is finally mastered it gains no more exp and can finally be used in battles and menu.

Thanks in advance to everyone.
If I have not explained well enough just tell me and Ill try to explain it better.

:)

Hi again.

Im bumpping this request trying to make it easier. Im not a great scripter... well Im no scripter, but I am able to play a bit with the code. I think I could do most of the job, making the skill not usable and giving exp to them at the end of the battle.

So, I think that all I need is a way to create a new attribute to skill so I can define how much exp every skill need. Something like:

Code:
def skill_exp
  case skill.id
    when 1
      return 20
    when 2
      return 35
end

I think that would work.

Thanks Kemuri, it seems I can use Kio's system to achieve what Im trying to create. Im lloking forward to go home and try.

If I manage to finish the system Ill credit both you and Kio.

Thanks a lot! :)

[Edit]PD- Thanks Mustardy85

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.