Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

First attempts at keyboard

Ok, it's not pretty and it sounds awful and I'm still learning but these are my first attempts at recording from a keyboard.

It takes a lot of getting used to as there's a half second lag after each key stroke so my timing is all out and I've missed a lot of keys.

Anyway I know it's not good as I've only just started but I wanted to contribute to the music forums so here you go!

It's not from any sheet music I just kinda guessed it but oh well. It's recorded from a keyboard through some old cables I found at my Nan's through my laptop's headphone socket so the quality is absolute balls, sorry about that. Turns out they don't even SELL the midi cables this keyboard uses any more.

http://bb.hbgames.tk/upload/turkish_oh_my_ears.mp3
http://bb.hbgames.tk/upload/tetris_take_2.mp3

regi

Sponsor

haha I have to say, I was not expecting the tetris theme on an organ.

I'm no expert with keyboard recordings, but on basic playing you need to keep a steady tempo (the first song, you were speeding up and slowing all over the place). You could also lessen that pedal echo effect (gets quite messy toward the end of the first song). Otherwise, continuing to practice is the key to improvement.

teehee well its pretty solid though, how long have you been playing/practicing?
i remember i could only play shitty stuff after a year of practice..
i was 12 at the time though.

Well a few weeks now but to be fair I used to play as a little kid.

I'll turn the echo off :x

Uh tempo, well, yeah. I suck at keeping rhythm and the fact I don't hear the notes for half a second after I press them doesn't help. I'm gonna see if this keyboard has a metronome feature but the problem is since I'm using the headphones as the output every sound goes through.

It does, but so far I haven't been able to find a cable to match, this is from the days of floppy drives and the midi out ports are pretty big. I don't really know about this stuff.

This is what mine look like I think:

RolandTD-9KX_03.jpg

That's definately not the midi ports I've got. They're much, much bigger. I bought a standard midi cable about a week back to try it and it's completely different.

that picture's deceiving, those are 1/2" (12.7 mm) in dia. (i.e. twice as big as the 1/4" "Output" & "Trigger In" jacks on your picture)

What keyboard do you have?

Here's your back panel:

SX-KN1400_back_panel.PNG

The Midi ports look very much like standard midi ports. 5 pin, 1/2" dia.

I'm guessing the cable you bought was NOT a standard midi cable???

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.