Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Final Fantasy VII now on Steam

I picked up the PC version for £5 when they released it, it's pretty great IMO. Not sure how Steam would improve upon it at all though.

The MIDI sound track is the only thing I can say is bad about the PC version, and I've already replaced it with the PS1 sound track so it's no longer a problem for me.

Although I seem to be having trouble with the game remembering my xbox controller is plugged in?

This is a cheap cash in, not worth anyone's time or money. It is literally just the original 1998 PC release game, now re-released on Steam with higher resolutions and with a widescreen option which stretches the game graphics, as well as a cheat program to boost your HP & MP above 9,000. That is it. This is not HD. This is release gets you less than what you can get from the modding community of the original 1998 game...

Review of the NEW Steam FF7, timestamped to the train introduction.
Comparison to the OLD 1998 PC Version which had community-made HD Mods applied.
One is considerably more HD looking than the other...

Xhukari":imu3x2zj said:
This is a cheap cash in, not worth anyone's time or money. It is literally just the original 1998 PC release game, now re-released on Steam with higher resolutions and with a widescreen option which stretches the game graphics, as well as a cheat program to boost your HP & MP above 9,000. That is it. This is not HD. This is release gets you less than what you can get from the modding community of the original 1998 game...
Those mods work with this release, this is not a remake/remaster, plus my game is HD :( I'm running it at 1920x1080 resolution

So it gets you the same as what you get from the modding community only on steam.

Also, you guys don't think FF7 is worth $12/£10?

Yes but they didn't even put in any effort; the widescreen resolutions stretch everything. So the main reason for its existence can be achieved most likely with a quick visit to widescreengaming.net. And the mod reasoning is not reason to buy this again. It's a reason to support the modders, y'know, the people who put effort into making it look better?
And no, I don't think FF7 is worth $12/£10. I don't think any 'HD' release is worth anything more than £5 if anything like this. Including the likes of Age of Empires II, etc.

The only way I'd reckon any 'HD' release on PC was if it was never released for the platform originally, then you're talking.

So what would you consider the likes of the to-be-release WindWaker HD and Halo Anniversary? Those are 'HD' to me.

Halo Anniversary is not HD, it is rendered at below 720p which means it's less than "half HD" in standards (It is rendered at 648p).

And I strongly disagree, FF7 is worth £10 to me even with the original content. £15 would be pushing it, but £10 seems priced right for what I get out of the game.

I complain about SE's pricing of their mobile games, they are overpriced for the experience received from the game.

Oh and in response to you saying it's not supporting the modders, the rendering driver behind the Steam version is based on the mod community custom rendering driver, the creator was paid fully for the use of his custom driver so in fact, buying the PC re-release version supports the mod community much more than any other release.

I don't use the widescreen because it looks bad, so I can't really comment on that, the game was never made for widescreen and looks rather bad stretched.

moog

Sponsor

I think the price is ok, I just wouldnt pay it for FF7. It's a great game, but its been processed to hell and would rather see a port of Chrono Cross or Final Fantasy IX.

moog":3989tvub said:
I think the price is ok, I just wouldnt pay it for FF7. It's a great game, but its been processed to hell and would rather see a port of Chrono Cross or Final Fantasy IX.

Agreeeeeed.

I'm not allowed to own Final Fantasy VII, or anything related to it. :( Well, I have Crisis Core, but that's because a friend of ours is not very smart and bought for my birthday, though we've told her 100 times that anything FFVII is not allowed here. >>

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.