Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

FFX-2 AP Skill System

I should enclose some details on the specifics of my request:

My game is set up so that you change classes several times in the game (four in total).  Whenever you change classes, you can learn a new set of skills via obtaining skill scrolls.  By using the skill scroll on the character whose class it specifies, you can learn a skill from that scroll.  However (this is where the AP Skill System comes into effect),  when a character learns the skill, they must obtain a number of AP points (obtained through fighting enemies) and when they reach the amount needed for the skill, they will actually be able to use the skill.  Therefore:

FFX-2 Skill System:
- You learn skills by gaining AP which are gained through battle.
- Once you learn a skill you cannot put any more AP into it.
- You specify which skill you want the AP to go towards but if not specified, a randomly selected skill is the target for that character's AP.
- You cannot use skills unless they are acquired through the obtaining of a set number of AP.

My modifications:
- You must use scrolls to obtain the skill as a pre-requisite (not part of the script)
- In the skill window in the main menu, there are two sub-commands: one that lists the skills and one that allows you to select skills to put AP towards.

Also, if its possible make it so that you can specify the amount of AP gained through a monster because I have no AP gaining scripts.

Thanks in advanced,
-Jae

Untra

Sponsor

I'm going to assume you're trying to make your own RPG and not have other people make the majority of your scripts and game for you? good.
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=44564.0
Edit it to however you see fit. I loved X-2s sphere grids, and I think you can do something mildly similar with this tutorial. Its a bit more friendly towards XIIs license grid, and even caters a bit towards X's giant ability grid, but otherwise you could probably modify this enough.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.