Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[Feedback needed] WIP - Encryption System [XP]

I was fiddling around API Hooks these few days and decided to try this. All the encryption/decryption process is provided completely separate from the actual game, so you won't have to worry about needing installing additional scripts etc..

It's currently a WIP, but I hope it will actually be of some use. :)

The idea was to hook onto CreateFileA function on windows api to intercept all calls for that function, decrypt the file, then allow the function to continue. Then later when the loading is finished, to initialize either temporary file deletion or decryption (this is on TODO list).

Currently the project is working properly. It decrypts resources when they are requested, but only encrypts them back when the project is actually closed (I know, i know... but as I said - this is Work in Progress).

Oh and this works ONLY on RPG Maker XP games (currently). The reason why is because RMVX uses CreateFileW (unicode version of the function) which this encryption system doesn't support.

I would need this feedback:

- Does it work on Windows XP?
- Any errors?
- Does any antivirus find any of the exe files as a virus (I actually sent the exe to Virus total and got - not detected from all major popular antiviruses, but some of them mysteriously checked this as a virus [heuristically of course, probably because of the way it interacts with Game.exe] - you can check the results here. Of course the exe is clean. I have KIS 2012 on my system and it checked program as clean.)
- Suggestions.

You can download the project demo here - http://www.mediafire.com/?wic1bk1ahnjma3d

Actually you've given me an idea. :D

I think that should be possible. If i hook on to ReadFile and WriteFile window functions. That way I don't need to bother much with later encryption. :D :D

Thx, I'll try that and write the results here. :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.