Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Fantasy Books?

Fayte

Sponsor

I've decided to write the story for my game in actual storybook form but I need some fantastical inspiration. Are any of you guys reading or have any of you read some really awesome fantasy books you can recommend?

P.S I'll pass on Lord if The Rings

The most recent book I read was A Darker Shade of Magic. But its just set between parallel Londons were magic and society is different in each one.

Brandon Sanderson has a book, Elantris. Which is about a magic city were people become immortal but the magic sorta stoped one day. So their bodies stop healing. So small scratchs add up over time and the pain never stops.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. It's not high fantasy though. It's mostly humans, magic seems pretty rare and isn't off the charts in terms of power. The structure of the story itself is what I loved so much about it though.

Fayte

Sponsor

I was actually looking into a book by Brandon Sanderson called The Way of Kings. I guess he must be a good fantasy writer!

Anyone here tried to read translated Japanese light novel? Most of them were already adapted into anime. I like it when it comes to fantasy and world-building.

l8zn5mh.jpg

Starting a new collection.

Fantastic. They're the source of a lot of humour in games such as RuneScape to be honest.

I would start with Guards Guards or Mort and see how you like them. They get better after those (but not before).

I couldn't get into the Long Earth. I got the premise, I just found it incredibly boring. I guess my imagination is getting wonky as I get older; I just couldn't picture anything they were describing. I think I should have read some fancy Steampunk inspiration stuff beforehand.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.