Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Export your characters from one game, then import into sequel

Okay, so, I'm looking for a script that would let the player export his characters from one game, then import them into the sequel of the game. I don't really know how this could be done (or if it could be done) but I figured I'd ask and see. Cause if it can, I have an idea for a game that is a 3 parter, and it allows you to pull your characters out of the first game, and then import them into the next, thus allowing the player to keep all the armor and skills and such he earned from the previous game. Or, if he doesn't import his characters, he can start out with characters that may be close to the same, but won't have the awesome armor and skills and such earned from the last game.

ok i have an idea (not a script)

End Game 1 with a blank map (from now on known as Map001.rxdata) which calls the save screen.
The player saves the game to their save slot.

Now for Game 2, make clear instructions to tell the player to move Save1.rxdata (from Game 1) to the folder of Game 2.
Make instructions for when importing characters, use the 'Continue' option.

This should load the party in Map001.rxdata (from Game 1)
That means Game 2 must have the equivalent map (Map001.rxdata). You would just have to make sure that the number of the map is the one you want the player to import from.

So the Game 2 Map001.rxdata should be editted for your purposes, such as teleporting to the first event (while all characters are imported and have their items)

This should work, however, Game 2 must have an identical database to Game 1. Game 2's database can be added on to though.
So Game 2 database must have all the original data in the right places, but can also include data after that.

Hope this might help.

Nix

That's what was done in Kamau's Legion Saga, if I remember correctly. Of course, they'll still have to copy their save file into the save folder of the game they wish to import the characters to.

Anonymous

It wouldn't be that hard to read a save file just for the characters, and then overwrite the defaults with the loaded data.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.