Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

ED: SR Rune/Spell System

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem Rune/Spell System
reference

What I am requesting is a system similar to Eternal Darkness'. You read can about it here:

Runes

Though they are called "runes" by the game (probably due to the term's association with mystery and magic), these symbols do not form an alphabet, but rather a vocabulary. As such, they would be more accurately termed glyphs or especially sigila.[original research?]

Alignments
  • Chattur'gha - red in color; represents the flesh, health and physical might. Overpowers Xel'lotath, but is vulnerable to Ulyaoth.
  • Ulyaoth - blue in color; represents the planes, magick and intellect. Defeats Chattur'gha, but is overcome by Xel'lotath.
  • Xel'lotath - green in color; represents the mind, sanity and knowledge. Prevails over Ulyaoth but succumbs to Chattur'gha.
  • Mantorok - purple in color; represents chaos, manipulation and death. Dominant over all others, can replenish the health, magic and sanity meters, and cause unusual effects in certain spells ? but is useless for summoning (it cannot even summon the weak Mantorok zombies). Due to Mantorok's entropic and chaotic nature, being struck by a weapon enchanted with his energy or a shield or damage field created with his energy causes the affected creature to decay, taking damage slowly over time.

There appears to be a fifth alignment, colored yellow, that is not attributed to any of the Ancients in the game. It rots away the flesh, can teleport objects, and covers floors, causing painful shocks to those who stand upon the possessed tiles.

Verbs
  • Bankorok - "protect" - used to create a force around something
  • Tier - "summon" - used to summon something of the specified alignment
  • Narokath - "absorb" - used to absorb the specified element from/into something
  • Nethlek - "dispel" - used to dispel something of an alignment weak to that being used
  • Antorbok - "project" - used to project the specified alignment's power onto something
Nouns
  • Magormor - "item" - focuses the spell on an item
  • Redgormor - "area" - focuses the spell on the area around the character
  • Aretak - "creature" - focuses the spell on a creature
  • Santak - "self" - focuses the spell on the spellcaster
Other
  • Pargon - "power" - used to power up spells

Spells

Spells are created using one alignment rune, one verb rune, one noun rune, and Pargon runes to fill out the Circle of Power. In order to create spells of a certain level (3, 5, or 7), the appropriate Circle of Power must first be obtained from Oublie Cathedral (in Anthony's, Paul Luther's, and Peter Jacob's chapters, respectively). In order to create a specific spell, all runes used in that spell must have been obtained (it is not necessary to obtain the codices or the spell scroll). When the player has acquired the runes, codices, and spell scroll for a particular spell, its lowest-level version will automatically be learned. Higher-level versions must be created in the "New Spell" menu. Sometimes a higher-level spell is required in order to achieve the desired effect. The necessary level is usually, but not always, denoted nearby in some way.

Each character is only able to create and cast spells after acquiring the Tome of Eternal Darkness. Some spells are only for specific situations (such as Reveal Invisible or Dispel Magick), while some (like Magick Pool or Recover) are extremely useful at all times. When casting, if a character moves or is attacked before the spell is complete, magick will be drained but the spell will fail.
Since all of that is very complicated, I'm willing to settle with something along the lines of this:
  • You learn spells through a Circle of Power. The Circle can be either 3 point, 5 point, or 7 point.
  • You must fill the Circle with one alignment rune, one verb rune, one noun rune, and the remaining holes filled with Pargon ("power") runes.
  • Upon successful combination of the runes, you will acquire a new skill

Notes

I'd like it so that it I can easily add more runes. I'd also like it if all the runes included in the detailed explanation were included as well. As it states in the explanation, the player would need the right Circle of Power for a spell. Higher level skills should require more Pargon runes, i.e., to make Mass Fire, you would need the "Engulf" and "Enemies" runes in the "Chattur'gha" alignment, and 4 "Pargon" runes on the 7 point Circle of Power.

I'd love for this system to be crafted, and major kudos to whoever makes it. I'm well aware of its depth, but I don't need this for a little while. Thanks for reading, and if more clarification is needed on a certain aspect, do not hesitate to ask.

Ok. So are runes usable items? Or once you get them, they stay with you? I am very interested in this system (I have already started a spell casting by words system), and it sounds like something fun to make.

Can you just clear up and describe what the runes are and stuff. Give me an idea on all the elements so I have an idea on what I am scripting.

Runes are basically what the words are. They have the same general idea that materia does. You insert the correct runes(materia) into a slot, and bam! new skill. They aren't usable items by themselves, but they should be able to be found by defeating enemies. The Circle's of Power aren't usable either. They are found throughout the game.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.