Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dynamic Ally levelling

Hi guys,
Have you ever had the annoying little problem in your games to do with adding new allies later in the game, and you find that they are hideously over-powered compared to your other characters, or so pathetic, that you instantly discard them and never use them?

I request a Dynamic Ally Levelling system, as used in several popular RPGs.
Say your character is level 1 because you couldn't be bothered to level up, and you set the new ally to be level 5, then the game virtually plays itself for you, meanwhile, your friend has power-levelled the character to level 10 and they get this level 5 character, well, its useless to them; But, If a Dynamic levelling system were in place, say [Person2] level = [Person1] or something like that, then 'Person2' is inducted into the party the same level as 'Person1' to iron out any extreme level differences.

I suppose things like 'Highest level in party +1' and 'Average of two highest level +1'

It makes more sense than forcing existing characters into up-to-date levels to match the new ally.

Thanks

Don't really need a script for this as its easy to implement. Just create a variable in your game called LevelBalancer or whatever. Then whenever a character joins your party set this variable to how many levels you want him ahead of your hero. So if you want him one level higher than your hero set LevelBalancer to 1, if you want him 5 levels higher than your hero set LevelBalancer to 5. Then all you have to do is go to the change level option on the 3rd page of the event editor and increase/decrease it by Variable: LevelBalancer

How on earth does that take into account the level of your main character?

The event you discribe would simply add the variable of 1 or 5 to the new characters starting level.

You would have to add a little bit more to the event, such as "Control Variable [LevelBalancer] = [Player 1]s Level", and then another line for "Control Variable [LevelBalancer] += 1" or 5 or whatever.

Good luck.

Sorry my fault, wrote a response really quick while i was at work. He's absolutely right. Just set LevelBalancer to the Hero's Lv first then add whatever values you want. So it would look like this:

*Determining Character Bob's level*

Variable: LevelBalancer = Hero's Lv
Variable: LevelBalancer += 5  (5 or any value for lv difference)
Change Level: Bob, + Variable: Level Balancer

Similarly, to add someone with a level equal to your character's level:

Variable: LevelBalancer = Hero's Lv
Variable: LevelBalancer = Hero's Lv - 1
Change Level: Bob, + Variable: Level Balancer

I almost had a heart attack when I tried to set new people's levels equal to the hero's (not finding a set function, only increase or decrease).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.