Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dungeon Siege-like maps

This is not really a request; it's just an idea I've been thinking how to make one a long time ago.

If you ever played Dungeon Siege (any versions), you will notice that the game loads all maps (by Preparing World loading scene) after you load a saved game or start a new game. When playing, the game will never load anymore unless for movies. So, the world is massively big and you won't never use teleports to move from a small area to another (except, of course, to move between massive areas such as cities, check points, etc.).

Note that building interior is not displayed until a player enters it (i.e. such in our real world, outside a building you will only see its window, wall, roof, etc.). This makes sense when entering a cave, tower, shrine, etc. (all kinds of dungeons, in short).

It might be interesting if a RMXP game uses a similar method. I remember recalling a script that work around map size limit (esp. when making a very big world map) by linking maps in 8-directions. But, this script still divides the world into chunks (which each consists up to 9 smaller maps), so you still need the teleport event. I think if the script is developed further, it will be able to link all maps in the game, thus creates a massive big world.

In addition, this script might need a "real" loading script to inform players while the game is loading. A fog-of-war minimap is also nice to add, aside with zoomed-in and world map itself). Inform the player when entering a new section of the world (such as Entering Tower of Blindness).

Well, it might be hard for me to implement, but anyone out there should be able to do it. Hopefully...

But, this script still divides the world into chunks (which each consists up to 9 smaller maps), so you still need the teleport event. I think if the script is developed further, it will be able to link all maps in the game, thus creates a massive big world.

THis is a no-no because of LAG. If you have a very large world with active and parallel events working, it will lag your game.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Well, I know what you mean, I think...

Why dont you just make a map with a house, but put a roof on it, so you cant see inside, and as soon as you stand on the doorstep, it teleports you to another map, which is exactly the same, but delete the roof and put in the interior of the house, don't know if it will work, but it's something to try ?

@~Atlaswing~:
It is proven otherwise in DS games; a minimum lag is met although there is so many events running all over in the screen (not parallel though). Maybe their data structure is very different to RMXP, but I think someone will be able to minimize the lag problem in RMXP (maybe have?).

I also think any events may also lag RMXP games, although they do nothing. I have a small map (50x50) with about 40 events doing nothing (but just change tile when switches are activated) and the FPS drops to 4.

@jbrist:
Makes sense, but we should not forget to disable map transition, or otherwise teleport effect will be still active (which in DS games is not). By this mean, it also multiplies the same map for each houses. I haven't tried it though, but I think the character may be seen as "jumping" when "teleporting". Worth a try.

If RMXP is really capable to make such a game, it would be shocking :D

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.