Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dungeon crawler

Should the Knight, paladin and dark paladin's "shield" spells overwrite each other or not?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Dungeon Crawler

You embark on a journey to save a kingdo, wait Dungeon crawler doesn't have a plot. Sorry. Let me try that again.

Trawl through dungeons, battle monsters, level up, kill the bosses and have fun doing it. Oh, and try not to waste all your ethers on the samurai.

Dungeon crawler is just that. No more no less. That last part, solid piece of advice, the samurai's abilities are expensive, and he doesn't have much MP.

Any who, on to the classes (Generic Jrpg classes are left out, everyone one knows the Fighter, thief, cleric, mage classes by now. Special classes are in the spoiler.(Unless stated, Paladin means both normal Paladin and Dark Paladin)(If a stat is absent, assume that it is average)):

Samurai: Masters of war, using their katana and wakizashi they dominate the battle field, brushing off hits that would kill lesser men, and waring armor that nothing on this earth can penetrate.
Strengths: High Hp, high strength, high weapon attack (he is using two weapons after all, though each is powerful in their own right), high armor defense, above average dexterity and highly powerful abilities (His lvl one ability has a 32% chance of killing an opponent instantly).
Weaknesses: Very very low Mp, 1000 Mp at level 99 high cost abilities (Aforementioned ability drains his ENTIRE Mp supply at low levels. Well, beyond level two he has Mp left after that ability, he just cant use any others.), equipment is excessively expensive and can't use shields.
Tips: Don't rely on his abilities, powerful they may be, he requires a constant ether supply if you do. I recommend that you have only one samurai in your party, other wise you will not have enough money for both for all of them, unless you spend a century grinding.

Knight: Masters of war and battle, walking though fight after fight with unending stamina. Creating plans and strategies even in the heat of battle. Knights are rather well versed in the magic arts, not as much as their Paladin counterparts, but versed enough to protect them and their allies from magic and cast very basic spells.
Strengths: Can use most standard weapons (sword, axe, mace ect), can use standard armor but has his own type, Slightly more than average HP, Above average strength, Above average intelligence, has a variety of magic defences, has an ability called "Battle plan" which increases all allies stats by half for an entire battle and can cast a few spells.
Weaknesses: Offencive spells come at about Lvl 30-40, Low agility and dexterity, offensive abilities are rather expensive and magic defences do not stack (i.e you cast ice shield and the fire shield you would have fire shield only.)
Tips: Use Battle Plan at the start of a big fight to give you the boost early on. The ability "Block" doubles Physical and magic defence and gives a whole heap of element defences, so use it on a character if you are all on low hp and need at least one person to survive the onslaught. Just because the Knight's spells come a bit late on does not mean that you should just not bother with them, a variety of enemies have a high physical defence, but a very low magic one. So if you are fighting a boss and your hits are doing bugger all, try a spell. Knights are more physical fighters, and thus highly valued in physical combat. Paladins are slightly weaker, but have a higher arsenal of spells. The ability "Valor" is only available to Knights though, so bear that in mind.

Paladin/Dark Paladin: There is a point in a squire's training that he or she may branch into two separate paths, war or magic. The squire, at that point, is already a fully fledged knight, and thus able to fight if he or she were called at that moment, but if not the squire proceeds to further training. If the squire chooses magic, the squire must then choose restoration magic or war magic. A dark paladin is called that because of the armor he wears, not because of his morality. There is however a rumour that paladin and dark paladin armor gives protection from light and dark magic respectively.
Same Strengths: Can use the same equipment as a knight, High intelligence, High Mp, Above average Hp and can use block and the various shield spells.
Same weaknesses: Agility and dexterity are lower than that of a knight.
Paladin strengths: Strong against light attacks, has a variety of healing spells, has one or two average attacking spells.
Paladin weaknesses: Healing spells are less efficient than a cleric's.
Dark Paladin strengths: Strong against dark attacks, has a variety of attacking spells, has one or two average healing spells.
Dark Paladin weaknesses: Attacking spells are less efficient than a mage's.
Tips: If you intend to just power through the game, take a Dark Paladin. His first healing spell comes at about level 20, and his wide range of offencive spells are a great asset to that team. A normal Paladin i just as strong as a Dark Paladin but has healing spells. In essence Paladin and Dark paladin are a warrior cleric and warrior mage respectively.

War Mage: Magic is a weapon. That is the motto of War Mages, they don't spend their lives studying the beginnings of magic. They just use it. War mages are also rather physical fighters, with their fabled war rods doing just as much damage as a sword.
Strengths: Above average HP, High MP, War Rods have the same base damage as a sword, can equip standard armor, unique armor has a high magic defence and an above average physical defence
Weaknesses: Restricted to elemental spells only.
Tips: If you want a high damage to MP ratio, go for the war mage. If you want a variety of spells, go for the normal mage.

Some information about "Named" bosses.
Named bosses are bosses that have unique names and abilities, such as "Hydra: Korbos". Korbos' unique ability is that he has access to the greater heal spell, and if he has less than a quarter of his health, he will cast it. Making a long drawn out battle as you wait for his Mp (Which has has a lot of) to drain untill he can cast no more. Or you can be smart, take a scilence bomb and be done with it. More to come.

Screenies:
A fight against the first named boss, Hydra: Korbos
Screen1.jpg

A small selection of characters. The last two are still in development.
Screen2.jpg

Encountering Korbos
Screen3.jpg

Support Dungeon crawler. Use the userbar.
UserBar.jpg

More classes to be added when completed.

i think the samurai will be overpowered. even if his skills demand huge amounts of mp and his equipment is expensive, the combination of high hp, strength, attack, armor defence and agility + a skill with 32% chance of death = demigod

First off, since I was writing the stats from memory I accidentally put Agility his agility is lower than average, it should be dexterity. And I also forgot to mention he has lower than average Intelligence.

I don't mean, "well, with a little bit of grinding I can afford that" expensive. I mean its the choice between giving the samurai better weapons OR amour or completely outfitting the rest of your team. You might own early on but if you only outfit the samurai you will have problems. And high level enemies and bosses will have skills that are designed to destroy a samurai. His level 99 Mp is only 1000, and that first skill costs 250 Mp to use. So I think that that removes his "Demigod" status, don't you?

Sgt. Cookie":1zcwqslg said:
First off, since I was writing the stats from memory I accidentally put Agility his agility is lower than average, it should be dexterity. And I also forgot to mention he has lower than average Intelligence.

I don't mean, "well, with a little bit of grinding I can afford that" expensive. I mean its the choice between giving the samurai better weapons OR amour or completely outfitting the rest of your team. You might own early on but if you only outfit the samurai you will have problems. And high level enemies and bosses will have skills that are designed to destroy a samurai. His level 99 Mp is only 1000, and that first skill costs 250 Mp to use. So I think that that removes his "Demigod" status, don't you?

It makes him less strong now, yes. Still, balancing is really important and takes a lot of time and tweaking. It's something many rmxp-games lack, but you are planning this well, so that's good.

gRaViJa":qhv6xssf said:
Sgt. Cookie":qhv6xssf said:

It makes him less strong now, yes. Still, balancing is really important and takes a lot of time and tweaking. It's something many rmxp-games lack, but you are planning this well, so that's good.

Thanks for the feedback, I am putting a lot of effort into getting the characters just right. The samurai was the hardest, as I had to tweak him constantly to get the right balance.

P.S, sorry fro taking so long to reply back. I have a bookmark the leads straight to the post reply section. And I don't look down when altering the first post. I was glancing over today and decided to have a read of my updates and saw your reply.

I know that I am super necroing my own topic, but I have my laptop back now and can continue to work on this.

I know that you would probably expect an update notice, but I thought that I had best let you all know (if you cared in the first place) that Dungeon crawler is back on track.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.