Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dick Moriarty: PI

Chapter 1: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Well, not usually)

Dick Moriarty, world-famous private investigator - well okay, vaguely well-known private investigator...alright, more or less entirely obscure private investigator - was dead. He was fairly certain of that much at least, for three main reasons:

First of all, people were ignoring him more than they usually did. Which wasn't saying much, in retrospect, but before he had died people had ignored him out of spite rather than simply not seeing him. Secondly, he was completely and utterly unable to find a clean pair of socks. He wasn't sure what that had to be with being dead, but he figured that on top of all the other evidence it must have been somehow related.

The third, and most damning piece of evidence that he was, in fact, pushing up daisies, was that he was attending his own funeral. He didn't suppose people who were alive did that sort of thing very often.

It was quite a nice funeral, all things considered. All of his closest friends and family had attended, making for a rather impressive total turnout of three. Even his mother was there, although given that she was strapped and manacled to a trolley, Dick supposed that her attendance had been under some small amount of duress.

He didn't remember dying; the when, the how, or the why. He had no shortage of enemies, he wasn't even going to attempt to kid himself on that one. Assuming he had even been murdered, of course. It could just as easily have been an unfortunate accident. Maybe he had been on the trail of his latest case when he tripped and fell into a wood chipper. He dismissed this theory when he realised that it was an open casket ceremony and his body, which he'd been staring at the entire time, was perfectly intact.

So here he was, fairly conclusively dead with no idea what had actually ended his illustrious career. In his head, a tiny man crossed out the word "illustrious" with a red marker pen, furrowed his brow, took out an enormous tipp-ex, spread it liberally over the part of his mental page that had held the offending word, gave a satisfied smile, and wrote "disastrous" instead. As he was pondering the ethic and moral implications of tiny imaginary men messing with his thoughts, he failed to notice a man approach him from behind and tap him on the shoulder. His attention was caught when the man spoke, however.

"Ahrigh' Moriahty me geezah! Seems you got yeself into a spot o' bovva and no mistake, innit? Up the ol' duffel coat wivou' a drumstick incha? I 'spect ye wonderin' why ye've shuffled off the mohtal coil, so ta speak. Well me old son, buckle ya seat belt 'n get ready to blast off, 'cos ye're abou' ta find out!"

Dick was briefly wondering how it was possible for one man - a dead one at that - to single-handedly murder everything the English language stood for when suddenly a flood of images raced through his mind.

And if he had actually had any idea at the time what any of them actually were, he probably wouldn't have gone on this crazy adventure to start with.

Next - Chapter 2: Some Things Are Better Left Forgotten

only critism i have is that Professor James Moriarty was the Arch enemy of Renound sluth Sherlock Holmes. Now i realize its just a short and im sure your a fan of mysteries but it seems as though it is a bit unimaginative. aside from that well done.

It's not overly amazing in writing style or grammar, and some of the phrasing seems a bit...off.  Watch out for run-on sentences, especially run-ons that don't make much sense.

It's not the most original idea in the world, and it makes me think of an anime series (I think it's called Yu Yu Hakishou, or something like that).  You could have used more description too.

On a better note, it was kind of funny, and it was amusing to read.

Trihan":2to9f7er said:
Dick Moriarty, world-famous private investigator - well okay, vaguely well-known private investigator...alright, more or less entirely obscure private investigator - was dead. He was fairly certain of that much at least, for three main reasons:
I'm fairly sure this is almost the same as a book I recently read, however I can't put my finger on it.

I can assure you that it is purely the product of my not entirely stable imagination. I've never read a book about this kind of thing. The closest I could give you to an inspiration is the PSX game Discworld Noir, but I wasn't actually thinking about that when I came up with the idea. Although I can't deny that Terry Pratchett is a huge inspiration for my writing style.

I've decided to completely overhaul this, taking into account AbyssalLord's critiques. As a first chapter, this was entirely too short, and it didn't really flow the way I had wanted when I started writing it. So here's the new prologue for this story:

http://dickmoriarty.blogspot.com/

This is where I'll be updating it from now on too.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.