Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Delete Savegame after Loading

Delete Savegame after Loading
SDKonly.png
ScriptOnly.png
forums.png
unsupported.png

Description:
This script deletes your savegame after it has been sucessfully loaded

Bugs:
None Yet

Compability issues:
None Yet

Version:
Version 0.9
Considered finished... but waiting for something to happen.

SDK:
This Script is SDK compatible and compliant!
A non-SDK version will also be availble with the release of v1.0

Credits:
If you use it, credit the proper persons!
Code:
#==============================================================================

# ** Delete after Load

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# alexanderpas

# Build Date - 2007-01-07

# Version 0.9 - alexanderpas - 2007-01-07

#==============================================================================

# * SDK Log Script

SDK.log('Delete after Load', 'alexanderpas', 0.9, '2007-01-07')

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Begin SDK Enabled Check

if SDK.state('Delete after Load') == true

class Scene_Load < Scene_File

alias alx_dal_scene_load_on_decision on_decision

#------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * Decision Processing

#------------------------------------------------------------------------

def on_decision(filename)

alx_dal_scene_load_on_decision(filename)

File.delete(filename)

end

end

end

# End SDK Enabled Test

So once you load your game it gets deleted? What is the purpose of this script? Why would you want your save file deleted? Maybe I misunderstood...

The only thing I could think of that this could have ANY merit for, is a game on an exceptionally hard difficulty level (Like Diablo 2 Hell Difficulty, or that one XBox Mech game where you died, your save game was deleted...the one with the bigass controller :P) where if you died, you lose your game, period.

I never cared for games that did that, as it was more of an annoyance, than a challenge.

Anonymous

If you could have this as well as the normal system you could have a neat system where there's two types of save - one that is permanent and one that is temporary. Permanent only at save points, temporary anywhere for when people have to leave but are no-where near a save point. Or like in breath of fire: dragon quarter, where the total amount of 'permanent' saves was detracted from your score.

As is, I can't really see this being sucessfully used.

I can see it's use in puzzle games that don't have a story, so if you have to leave in the middle of a puzzle you can save your record. Also, if someone edited this to only work with certain savefiles (Like Wumpi said), it would be good.

well this is a lot better than diablo hc since a non action rpg with hc mode is a lot less dangerous since I mean i can understand lag killing you in hc and stuff, but in a rpg its a lot slower paced and makes you consider your moves more carefully ^^;;. so I applaud this, of course i'm not using it since most people wouldnt enjoy this >>

fuso

Personally I think this is a bit too dangerous. Rather you should perhaps keep the save and instead overwrite at important points (saving goes quick so autosaving at important parts every few seconds is rather okay). For it to quite safe, you would not want the saves to be files on their own as it is now since someone could just make a copy of the save. You could keep it like this if you also have a record of what save identifiers are legal. A better way to go about this is to store them together in an encrypted file with identifiers hidden away in the registry for instance. Still hackable. The only really safe way is to communicate with an external server but each step diables a large portion of the remaining players.

Ok, the only time a necropost (posting in a very old topic) is acceptable is if you have something really pertinent to say.

e.g. I would like to use this, could you please fix the first post (bad tags)? OR
I tried this script out, and I get this error: (blah, blah, blah).

And even then, it's better to open a new thread, and post a link to the old thread.

Criticism, rationalization, compliment doesn't count!

Please check the date on the previous post before posting.

Wumpi":1bdxdc82 said:
If you could have this as well as the normal system you could have a neat system where there's two types of save - one that is permanent and one that is temporary. Permanent only at save points, temporary anywhere for when people have to leave but are no-where near a save point. Or like in breath of fire: dragon quarter, where the total amount of 'permanent' saves was detracted from your score.

As is, I can't really see this being sucessfully used.

like the suspend files in castlevania on the ds? yeah that is actually a pretty good idea

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.