Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Control Self Switch script request

Request: A script which allows you to activate or deactivate self switches using the call script function.

Function: This would allow you to control the self switches of another switch on the same map, using the call script function.
The code used could basically be: [Switch ID],[Self switch],[on/off]. Of course this option would only be available if the events are on the same map.

example:

Map ID: 001

Event 001:
page 1 <no switch required>
Page 2 <if Self Switch A is on>

Event 002:
Page 1 <player touch>

Activates a little scene and at the end uses a call script to activate self switch A on event 001.

Reason for request:
The whole idea of switches slowing the game down performance wise worries me when deciding to use a switch, so whenever i can avoid it i will. I know i'm blowing this out of proportion, as the game would probably slow down when it starts to use 500+ switches or something but it would be pretty cool to be able to activate events with the method i've described above.

For example, i have a huge locked door as an event graphic. Because of the size, the player is able to walk through the sides of the door <_< so i have to place extra non-passable blank events which would be disabled once the door is unlocked. Now whilst i can do this using move event command on the main door event. Upon re-entering the room the blank events are back. And i hate the idea of having to use up a switch just for this.

I'm not a scripter so i don't know if this would even work but it was an idea that popped up in my head a few minutes ago ^_^

Actually it would probably help me too if someone could give me a rough idea of when switches begin to slow a game down or affect its performance? lol.

thank you

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.