Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Common Events

Is there a way to make the RMXP read call common events faster cause I get some 2-4 sec lag while calling them :(

or is there another way to show item quality on screen like a call script: Show item quality id 001 (x/y) something :)

would be nice to be able to show item names on screen to :/

Its a rather simple one. I can't script so I use pictures and variables to make my menus

wodregular.png

My common events looks like this:

IF Var [XXXX] = 1
Show Picture 1
IF Var [XXXX] = 2
Show Picture 2
IF Var [XXXX] = 99
Show Picture 99

Its the codes that shows all the numbers after the Item names in the picture above

Oooooohhhhhhh.... "Quantity" (I should have figured that one out.) :scruff:

That is one nice looking item scene.

Ok, here's the thing. Systems like this are going to be inherently 'laggy' because you are redrawing a lot of stuff every frame. You could add some logic that only redraws contents when they need to be redrawn (when the list scrolls up the page).
I would recommend getting this done with a script. If you are willing to share the design for the rest of the menu system, and the images you are using for backgrounds, I'll make the menu system for you.

I would recommend 'lightening' the area in the middle of the item window to make the items easier to read, and also using the whole window instead of just the right side. (less scrolling when the items list gets pretty big).

Be Well

Yea sure but the left side is going to contain the charatures HP, MP, SP and status etc :) just hasnt gotten to the point that I can press enter on the items yet :) Oh and by the way I already have it so it updates every page ^_^

One question tho is it possible to encode the menu so instead of healing the charatures base hp etc to instead heal using variables? Thing is I'm using a more advanst system that RMXP's base code can handle.

example: I have HP and MP (for magics) as normal but I also have SP (0-100) (150 if using a gear) for skills. I also use 3 accessories instead of one (diffrent types ofc so one dont fit in the other slot)
I also have 25 diffrent types of item bars lol :) could decrese some tho but still :) I'll link a few pictures.

Main Menu
wodmainmenu.png

Item Menu (Part 1) (Spin Bar)
woditemmenu.png

Item = Regular Items / Herb Items / Key Items
Loot = 8 Diff types of loot (have these for making cash instead of monsters dropping gold)
Weapon = Weapon / Orbs (offhand) / Arrows (for hunter) / Bullets
Helm = Cloth / Leather / Mail
Armor = Cloth / Leather / Mail
Acc = 3 types Amulet / Charm / Necklace

Item Menu (Part 2)
wodregular.png

Equipment (Still undergoing painting)
equipmentframemain.png

Status menu gonna look almost like this with a bif more info just :)

Battle System
wodbattle.png

Option Menu
Is still underconstruction so far I have Background switches, Frame color, Menu/Battle Music and to turn off a switch that stops the battle menu frames from changing color :)

Do you want the pictures piece by piece cause most of those menus have full frame and main text in same picture :) Can ofc split em up :)

Ok, I lied. :scruff:
Based on your previous image of just the item scene & description, I assumed it was a simple derivative of the default menu system.
With all of the extra customizations, you're looking at a major re-write. Unfortunately, I just don't have that much time.
Sorry to get your hopes up.

This is a very cool looking menu system, and I applaud you for trying to pull it off using only events.

The best I can suggest is to look through your logic & make sure you're not re-drawing anything unless it really needs to be redrawn.
That will help the most with the 'lag' problem.

Be Well

No problem :) I can manage do code everything I need this way altho if u know a way that I can call the Item Text and Quantity (this time I got it right) by means of the base system would be nice.

Let me explain.

To basicly call the Item menu but remove all frames and other codes like the one that u go from item 1 to item 2 and the use item code :)

If I could get RMXP just to draw the items up on my screen everytime I change page that would be awsome. Like a call script or script that tells the program to draw Items 1 to 10 on (x/y) the rest of the code is easy and requires no lag at all. Even the code that makes u use items it quite simple :) The only problem I have right now is when I call the numbers that display how many items I have.

But I guess I could lower it to only have quanity for the Item Im currently targeting but that would lower the quality of the menu quite a bit :(

If only there was a way to draw an item name on screen like - draw item "001" x/y etc then I could still have my special system and well save me the trouble to paint 1000 pictures to get my item menu finished :I

Alright, the following commands will create a sprite to draw in, add the background bitmap, then draw on it.

Code:
@menu_sprite = Sprite.new

@menu_sprite.bitmap = \

RPG::Cache.picture("woditemmenu")

@menu_sprite.bitmap.draw_text\

(200,200,200,32,"Test Text")

I think you didnt understand hmm seen that code before pretty much :I Didnt work so well. Anyway thanks I guess I could live with the page lag :(

But just for argument sake I ment more like drawing the item menu as it does in the menu but remove all frames and the cursor and then code my own frames and cursor and let only the Potion and Quantity stay from the regular Item menu :)

I know it's not easy but thanks for trying :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.