Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Charset Animations (more than 4 frames & Mother 3 Animation)

Karjam

I want to know if such a script exists. It would be very useful to me (and maybe to other people interested in it).

The script would not only allow one to have more than 4 frames of animation, but ALSO allow characters to be animated in the same way that the characters were animated in Mother 3.

Note that while I've been on this forum since 2009, this is my first post (don't remember signing up though :P )

EDIT: Answered my own question: :biggrin:
http://save-point.org/Thread-eight-dire ... ames--2578

EDIT2: I've noticed that it doesn't offer as much flexability as Vector Engine Animated Battlers for RMVX Ace does, as all the sprites are required to be in a set format.

I'm looking for the ability to "use different styles" in the same game (like Atoa's Custom Battle System can for animated battlers), as well as the ability to animate the characters like in Mother 3.

I might be able to help. Modifying the number for frames a sheet uses is relatively easy. Just involves changing a couple numbers. I could probably write a simple method that changes how many frames a sprite has depending on the file name. Kinda like how VX and Ace check for "$" in the filename if its a single character sheet.

How were characters animated in Mother 3?

Karjam

coyotecraft":2ydjjo2h said:
How were characters animated in Mother 3?

When they walk, most of the characters would animate like RMVX. When you press the run button, they crouch. When you release the button, they run (with a different animation).

A few of your party members (Buster, Boney and Salsa in to be specific) have different animation styles for walking and running. Duster limbs, and the frames go something like 12341234 (instead of 12321232) and so on. Boney is a dog, and has more sprites for his walk (I think) AND run animation. Salsa's a monkey and, like Boney, has more sprites for walking and running animations.

Also, during events, the animation would animate like events in the Mario and Luigi games (Superstar Saga, Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story in case you don't know what I'm talking about). That's the best information I can think of at the moment.

If you still don't know, then look up "Mother 3" on youtube to see what I mean. Or play the fan translation (which requires the ROM, so if piracy bothers you too much...)

Also, thanks for offering to help.

I MIGHT have tried it myself, but I don't know much Ruby. Besides, I also suffer from a bad habbit of procrastination.

Don't keep me wrong, though, as I STILL wanna be a game dev one day. :grin:

I HATE proof reading on informal docs. :tongue:

You don't need a script for the VX character movement. 1234 is the same as 1232 when the 4th frame is the same as 2nd.
You'll need to be a little more specific about the other movements. Like how many frames the other characters use. Better yet, just post the sheets. I'm still scratching my head about animations during events. You can always use "set move route" to cycle through more then 4 frames of animation if you need to.

Karjam

coyotecraft":2nly4u5u said:
You don't need a script for the VX character movement. 1234 is the same as 1232 when the 4th frame is the same as 2nd.
You'll need to be a little more specific about the other movements. Like how many frames the other characters use. Better yet, just post the sheets. I'm still scratching my head about animations during events. You can always use "set move route" to cycle through more then 4 frames of animation if you need to.

I meant to the effect of 123123 instead of 12321232 (that is, it CLEARLY shows Duster limping) :tongue:

Sorry for not being specific. I'm just typing what I thaught at the time. :blush:

Juan J. Sánchez":2nly4u5u said:
You should use my script. It allows for 8-directional movement (or 4-directional if you want) with as many or as little poses as you want, including an idle pose. I don't use RPG Maker XP anymore, but I can still answer your doubts.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73234&hilit=ms+8+directional+movement

One of the reasons why I didn't download it in the first place is because you had said on that post that it's designed for Ragnarok Online characters. :|: But I guess I should check it out anyway (once I'm back on the main PC, that is).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.