Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Character builder

Script Title:
Character Builder

Detailed Description:
This is a request for an in game character builder. It works by displaying a screen with the tools needed to build and customize your character. These are the following items with descriptions. Refer to the screen shot bellow.

The arrows(<>) Represent the left and right arrows. Pressing either left or right will cycle through the availible options and display the name of the option between the two arrows.
Gender:(where it says <male>) Select either male or female.
Race: Choose your race. This will determine your sprite body customization options and(maybe if possible) give a brief description.
Class: Cycles through all available classes and (maybe if possible) give a brief description of characteristics and spells.
Hair: Choose hair color(all races have a set hair pattern)
Skin: Choose skin color if more are available.
Name(forgot to add to the mocup): A screen will appear to type your character name into.
Finish: When you select this it will ask if you are satisfied with your character, options yes or no.
If yes it will start you in the game, if no then it will leave you in the character editor until you are finished making your character.

Just for clarification! You start at the top, use the left and right arrow keys to cycle through the options. When you find the option you want and press enter you will move down to the next button option cycler thing.

The large portrait of the character will change with selected options, select pink hair and blue skin; the portraits skin and hair change colors.

The little character graphic is not necessary but if it can be added it too will change with the options, and will display the walking animation for the duration of the character building process.

Screen shots:
cmoc.png

Other Scripts I am using (in order):
So far I am just using the Xas battle system and am searching out a day and night system.
This is all subject to change though due to compatibility issues with future ad ons.
(want to use netplay to make small co-op game once single play is worked out.)

If you have any questions or are unclear about something then please ask. I willl answer it as best I can.
Thank you.

-Fangy-

SOME SIDE NOTES:
I do not know much about this stuff so I may just be spewing stupid ideas. BUT! To make this function the way I want may require use of lots of pictures? for instance; the portrait by default is on image, but then there will be seperate pictures of the hair and skin for each availible option. When one is selected say....pink hair! then the "vampire_hair_pink01" picture will be displayed on top of the picture where the default hair was. Make sense? just layering pictures I guess.

Also for the buttons(and other such things), as I obviously don't want it to look quite as dull as I made it. Similar thing maybe?
Background image, three frame images(one for main boarder, one for the options boarder and another for the small sprite frame) And t hen make each button and individual picture file as well, then just decide weather the correct text is displayed over those buttons, or weather you must make a button for every option and then set where they go.
Example: "Race_vampyre" or "Class_Faunamage". Then the script reads the first part(Race) as what the option is for and the second (vampyre) what image to display. Savvy?

P.S. This is very important! =X

You know... in order to do this you need to be able to access some of the functions outside RGSS which means calling DLLs and stuff. But it can be done, although you need someone with a big nerves for programming (and skill too).

Other way would include making 3-4 Sprite variables (one for hair, other for torso, other for legs, etc) at one time (this would not require calls outside RGSS but IMO it would take a lot of RAM and a game might be slow).

So either way... it's pretty hard thing to do.

I know this topic has been dead for a while, but I created an event system for this about a year ago. You can find it here on .org though, I'm sure.

The images I used are pretty crappy, and it takes a LONG time and a LOT of patience to have more than 12 options, but it CAN be done, and it's not very tough as long as you leave the eventing to one map. It doesn't slow the game down too much.

If you'd like some help, let me know. Good luck. Also... If you have the main pictures, I've been doing recolors for about six months now, and I could probably paint you up a bunch of different options for each character.... however... you're on your own with spriting. lol

I don't have much of the main pictures yet,but I would definitely be interested in what you have.
Could you perhaps send a link my way?

I whipped up an event based character selection system I'm quite proud of though. =p

Well, you should pm me the details or some screens, and I'll let you know if I can help.

I'll link you to my builder... though it could definitely use some updating...
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60797 - The images don't show up any longer, but the dl link seems to be intact. Hope that helps, and sorry for the long wait.

You can take the basic idea of how it was made and create your own version on xp. I hate the way the event pages are set up in xp, or I'd do it for you. I'm going to go back and revamp that one for vx. Hopefully by now you've got this figured out though. Sorry I'm such a slow poster. Busy busy.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.