Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Brave

brave-poster.jpg

Pixar's latest movie, Brave, is coming out on June 22. Originally titled The Bear and the Bow, it is both Pixar's first fantasy, and its first movie to star a female protagonist.

Since ancient times, stories of epic battles and mystical legends have been passed through the generations across the rugged and mysterious Highlands of Scotland. In Brave, a new tale joins the lore when the courageous Merida (Kelly Macdonald) confronts tradition, destiny and the fiercest of beasts. Merida is a skilled archer and impetuous daughter of King Fergus (Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson). Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the uproarious lords of the land: massive Lord MacGuffin (Kevin McKidd), surly Lord MacIntosh (Craig Ferguson) and cantankerous Lord Dingwall (Robbie Coltrane). Merida’s actions inadvertently unleash chaos and fury in the kingdom, and when she turns to an eccentric old Wise Woman (Julie Walters) for help, she is granted an ill-fated wish. The ensuing peril forces Merida to discover the meaning of true bravery in order to undo a beastly curse before it’s too late.

bravecharacters.jpg

Pixar has a lot riding on this movie. Their last movie, Cars 2, was considered a critical disappointment and, for many, the first "bad" movie Pixar has released. Though nobody is doubting Pixar can still make incredible movies, this will be the first time they have had to redeem themselves.

brave-today.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFB_-Kj5I5g

This movie looks rad as hell. Cars 2 was the only Pixar movie I haven't seen in theatres, or have the desire to see. We haven't seen an entirely new Pixar movie since Up in 2009 (Toy Story 3 being a sequel and all) and I'm itching to see how this turns out.

Obviously getting a lot of How to Train Your Dragon vibes because of similar settings (Vikings vs. ancient Scots, accents, etc.) but I'm pretty sure the movies will appear much more distinct as we find out more about it.

Anybody else psyched for this?

Spoo

Sponsor

It's Pixar; of course I'm psyched. I never cared much for Cars and I never watched Cars 2 so IDEK about redemption or anything. Animation quality alone will prolly get me to see it.

if this competes with How to Train Your Dragon though I'll be legit shocked; that's prolly my favorite animated movie of forever.

it's nice that they're finally making a movie with a female lead (though it's a princess ... sigh, girls apparently are only allowed to be leads in kids' movies if they're royalty 99% of the time).

but the art style is still the damn same as it's been since Toy Story (1). I'm really really tired of that.

I can't say I'm psyched about it (I dearly miss traditional animation ... so much better than CG :/), but it certainly looks a LOT more interesting than their other recent movies (barring Up, which was a VERY cute premise).

I love Toy Story 3 but only because I grew up with the franchise, I think. Both my parents liked it but I don't think it has the same effect if you've seen all the movies in your adulthood. Hearing that they're making a prequel to Monsters Inc. in 2013 is kind of bumming me out, though. I mean, 3 prequels/sequels in 4 years? C'mon.

Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up are some of my favourite movies of all time, so I'm not worried that Pixar has lost their touch or anything. The trailers are underwhelming but I can't say I've ever seen a Pixar trailer that has truly gotten me excited for a movie. It feels like they're deliberately keeping most of the movie's plot under wraps and keeping an air of secrecy around it.

Also Merida's hair is going to get me to see this movie more than anything. My god. That hair. :fap:

I'd shut my ass up about being fed up with the art style >>>today<<< if they made the whole movie ACTUALLY look like this:

bravecharacters.jpg

Like all painted.

I've seen VIDEO GAMES pull this look off pretty decently ... Why couldn't Pixar, with all of that fat fat cash they roll around in??

I saw a trailer for this around the same time I saw a trailer for How to train your dragon. I get the feeling it would have came out sooner, but pixar beat them to the punch. You know how 3d animation studios compete with each other by making movies with similar themes around the same time.

A Bugs Life / Antz
Finding Nemo / Shark Tail
The Incredibles / Megamind (not around the same time but still)
Surfs up / Happy Feet
Kung fu panda / Madagascar
Shrek / Happily n'ever after
Rio / Some movie about carrier pigeons that fell off my radar.

I'm not sure if this could be paired with How to train your dragon because of the accents or Tangled because of the crazy hair.

Based off the original title and what I've seen in other trailers. It looks like she rides off to kill a bear. Gets a wish. She has 3 little siblings, there was a close up of a cauldron implying magic, and then 3 bear cubs. So um, she wished she didn't have to get married off, her brothers (or sisters, can't tell) get turned into bears. If they don't marry off the fighting kingdoms can't be united. Something like that.
The dad tells a story of a one eyed bear and there is a old women with one eye in the artwork. Wouldn't be surprised if that was related to how he meet her mother in some way.

I hope I'm completely wrong though. The mistake dreamworks made with How to train your dragon was giving away the whole movie in the trailer. They showed the best scenes and gags in the advertisements and when you go see it you realize you've already seen half the movie.

Cars was Pixar? Man, I feel bad about that. I really didn't like that film.

Artistically this looks better than most Pixar films. Will definately see this at some point. But yeah as Ven said, the painted art is much better.

So here is the Japanese trailer that is twenty times more badass than the American one. Tons of new footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8cLhckSAAw

Mega Flare

Awesome Bro

BACON YOU NEED TO SEE CARS 2! ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY BETTER THEN THE FIRST! CAUSE JEFF GORDON IS IN IT!

yeah i think so
also i haven't seen Brave yet but i really want to
I heard it wasn't the best Pixar movie but it was pretty good

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.