Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Battle system addon - new winning conditions

This is a request for a new script.

Hello .org scripters,

There are a list of scripts that I'm going to need for this next project, but none of them should be SUPER tough. I don't think. This first one should be rather simple. I probably could have done it with events, except that it has to do with the battle system, and events won't really take hold during the battle.

Brief Outline:
This is a battle system addon for a game that mixes Guitar Hero/Rock Band with an RPG aspect. Within the game, you choose an instrument/weapon in the beginning and slowly put together a band and begin to duel/battle other bands until the ultimate battle of the bands at the end of the game.

During this battle system, your ultimate goal is to "Knock the other band out" of tune. So the regular hitpoints and magic points is just fine aside from the fact that I need to rename them. The MP will be stage presence, and the HP will be tune. When your tune bar is gone, the band member can't continue playing that song, and must sit it out until the next song. If the Presence meter is gone, you no longer have the energy to perform moves. Some of these moves may attempt to throw the other band out of tune, REtune one of your instruments while playing, OR affect the audience's affection.

What the script actually does:
This script will show a bar at the top of the battlescreen. (I can supply the images, you just need to let me know what I need.) This bar will be labeled "Crowd Control" Each side will be a different color that blends into a neutral color in the center. Directly in the center of each color, a line should sit. When a "crowd control" skill is used, the line will move toward the band that used the skill. When the line is in the first section, the crowd will scream (I'll get sound fx) when that band uses skills. When the line is in the second section, the band's MP will slowly regenerate at the beginning of each turn. Up to 10% probably. When the line is in the next section, the band HP will regenerate up to 5% at the beginning of each turn. And when the bar is at the very top, the band does critical hits every turn, and a special ability is available that will retune all of their instruments back to 100% (Full heal) OR it will 1-hit kill one of the enemy band members. The crowd control bar can get up to 100pts (for your band) or -100pts (for the enemy band) If you'd like to use variables, that's perfectly fine. That way I can design my skills around common events that change the variable. UNLESS.... common events won't work like that during battles, and in that case........ what would I do??

I know this makes it seem like the battles are very one sided once the band even STARTS to win. But I think it will be a lot more balanced than that. You could choose to please the crowd for most of the show, or you could choose to go all offensive and start knocking the enemy out of tune. If you're entire team is gone but one character, and you're halfway out of tune already, then the crowd support probably won't be enough to win the battle.

If you know of scripts out there that already do any of these things, (I know there are sideview scripts) that you think you could edit, or would like to TRY to edit to add any of this stuff onto it, I'd be plenty happy to PM the maker of those scripts and ask permission. Just let me know, and I'll do anything I need to help you out.

I'd really like this to be in side-view form, so you can see all the character sprites holding their instruments. The sprites don't really need to move other than the standard little "bounce" they do when in battle. But they'd be more like strumming, or playing a rhythm on the drums. I'll just make some nifty animations for all their skills.

Also, I want the player to be able to choose a genre of music in the beginning, and then learn songs depending on the band's level. These songs would be "established" songs. Probably mainly a lot of mainstream stuff, depending on the genre. I'm trying to decide if it would be a good idea to put a timer on the battles so when the song ends, the battle is over. Then, the band with the most crowd control (maybe even hitpoint percentage could be added in) would be declared the winner. That way, the song won't just keep looping for an hour during a tough battle.
The only problem with this I see is that REALLY tough battles would be very hard to win if you don't have an amazing strategy. However; harder battles could always just have more songs (Battle sequences) where the crowd control meter carries over to the next song until all the songs are through, OR the band is knocked out during one of the songs. That way, the battle could last up to half an hour of real time, or not even 2 minutes, depending on how good the player or the opponent is.

Multiplayer options? I don't know if this is even close to possible, but It would be awesome to allow two people on the same keyboard to battle each other, or maybe even play through a different storyline together, mainly based on battles. The actual game is all about meeting people and relationships between those people, so I don't want two players during the actual story, but it would be cool to write a second, not so epic, storyline about two friends or something trying to make it big. Just a little something extra to get people interested. It would definitely intrigue me.
I'm mainly asking about this because I know that not only would I need a custom battle script, but I'd also need a custom script for the actual player movement and the second player's interactions in the world. Like separate inventories that could be opened at the same time on a split screen, separate shop scenes, and everything in between. (Just some food for thought. )

Also, I want to make fashion a decent part of the game. In which case, you can buy new outfits that don't do anything but make you look cool. However; I know that in doing this, I'll have to make quadruple the sprites if I use a sideview script. So every outfit has an instrument to go with it, and that would especially suck if I decide in the end to make visual instruments. So I'm going to ask around about this and decide which I'd rather have.... sideview battles with sprites, or start requesting some enemy battler graphics for the regular battle system, and then be able to have custom outfits for the player to purchase and wear. (Feel free to make a suggestion if you'd like.)

Other than that...... I think that's all I need. Remember that the OPTIONAL part is just that: OPTIONAL. It would be AMAZING to get that stuff to work. But if not, a basic crowd control system would be great.

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to mod this post with some quick mock up screenshots in a few minutes. I know this is a bitch, so I'm trying to make it as painless as possible for you. lol

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.