Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Area to activate event script?

Hey guys, I've been trying to find a script that allows you to activate an event only when you're x amount of squares way from it. I saw this kind of script, I thought on XAS Abs's website a while ago, but it doesn't seem to be there now (if it ever was there at all). Either that or it was part of an event based abs system tutorial.

What I'm trying to do with such a script is to start cinematic scenes, battles, and everything else you can do with events when you're within range of another event. It would be way easier to do it that way instead of setting up a square of events all around another event to kick off a cinematic.

Anyway, if you guys have seen this script and know where it is, please let me know, or if you guys could throw together a script like this real quick for me I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you guys could share with me an easier way to trigger a cinematic scene when you're a certain distance away from another event without having to set up a square of events around that event (I'm sure some of you guys who made complete games had to have had a better way to do that than putting a whole square of events around another event)...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Your script freezes the game if the event page using this condition is autorun... and it doesn't work when the event page is action button, player touch, or event touch without those conditions being met first. That means I can only use the paralleled process condition for the range condition. The problem with this is during a cinematic, in between text boxes, the character can move if the event is paralleled process. This is a big problem... Is there any way to fix this?

Its not meant to be run as an autorun condition, and I am not sure exactly how you would even attempt such a thing. Its meant to be run within a parallel process. Use the condition to fire an a separate autorun event or call a common event, etc., and disable the page.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.