Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Adding Item Requirements to Modern Algebra's Quest Journal

Modern Algebra's Quest Journal: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25533.0.html

If you know Modern Algebra, you can tell that this script is damn good in itself. I do need a modification to it or two, however. What I need is the ability to link an objective to an item in the database; Ex. needing 15 potions to complete an objective. There's obviously an easy way to do this with common events, however, a problem was presented in displaying the number of items. Here's what I have (Somewhere near line 800, just search for the first line of it)
Code:
quest.revealed_objectives.each { |i|

# Get the correct color

contents.font.color = quest.complete_objectives.include? (i) ?

text_color (ModAlg_QuestData::COMPLETE_COLOUR) : quest.failed_objectives.include? (i) ?

text_color (ModAlg_QuestData::FAILED_COLOUR) : text_color (ModAlg_QuestData::ACTIVE_COLOUR)

# Get objective # The gsub piece was added, as suggested by Modern Algebra himself: it was objective = quest.objectives[i]

objective = quest.objectives[i].gsub (/\\ITEM\[([0-9]+)\]/) { $game_party.item_number($1.to_i) } 

# Draw Bullet

tw = contents.text_size (ModAlg_QuestData::BULLET_CHARACTER).width

x = 8

contents.draw_text (x, y, tw, WLH, ModAlg_QuestData::BULLET_CHARACTER)

x += tw + 4

# Format the objective

obj_bitmap = Bitmap.new (contents.width - x, 2*WLH)

obj_bitmap.font = contents.font

obj_bitmap.font.size -= 4

formatted_obj = formatter.format (objective, obj_bitmap)

# Draw Objective

bmp = artist.draw (formatted_obj)

contents.blt (x, y + 4, bmp, bmp.rect)

# Modify the Y accordingly

y += WLH*([formatted_obj.lines.size, 2].min)

}
However, this does not update the number; it remains at 0 constantly. He did, in a post / discussion, mention that he may do this later, however I am uncertain if it's worth it, as I'm not sure how much work it really would be.

Other Scripts I am using (in order):
Syykal's Notes Field System and Conditional Skills / Equipment
DerVVulfman's Battlebacks VX Script
Anaryu's Anti Lag

Dargor's:
-Advanced Help
-Custom Commands
-Map Name Popup
-Advanced File

Woratana's:
-Battle Retry
-On-Screen Shop
-Neo Message System 3
-Battle Result Window

Modern Algebra's:
-Paragraph Formatter
-Quest Journal
-Enemy Stat Variation

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Aaron

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.