Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

A question (and maybe request): Battle Helpers

There was recently a script that mimicked the battle helpers in FF3, where an NPC would follow you around and had a chance at helping you each turn in battle with a set of actions.

Can this be done based on your current party? What I mean is, say you have 5 people in your party named A1 through A5. A1 - A4 are in your battle party, so you can control them normally, but A5 isn't in the battle scene at all. Is it possible to have the game pretend A5 does something each turn based on who it is?

For example, if your magician sits out at A5, there's a 30% chance of him/her casting Mass Fire each turn. There's also a 40% chance (if the first chance fails) that he/she would use Mass Water instead.

Also, if there's an A6, they can also help, and it's possible for A5 and A6 to both perform at the start of a turn.

I guess that's a bit vague, but if someone can do that (or merely say it's possible), thanks in advance. I'm using a turn-based Minkoff Animated Battlers, but I don't expect the helpers to appear on screen, just the animations of their actions on the right targets

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.