Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

A better Battle formula

I am not a programmer but I'm pretty sure that my request should be straight forward.
basically I hate the rmxp combat system, I have looked at the scripts and help file don't really understand how it figures out whether or not it hits nor how much damage is dolled out.
I'm a fan of the old RPGs where it wasn't that bad to do 2 or 3 damage, and it's not rare to have 400hp at the end of the game.  So it annoys me when some of my characters are doing 350 damage to a monster and another character with only 10 fewer attack power is doing 0. 
I don't really understand how to read the scripts and I even looking at the contents under help it doesn't make much more since.  what does "Normal attacks:
Power = A's attack power - (B's physical defense ÷ 2)
Rate = 20 + A's strength
Variance = 15
Minimum force: 0 "
and even with the help file and the scripts i dont understand how the game figures out who moves first...

Anyway, what i want is this:
Highest AGI combatant moves first.
To hit = random number between 1-100 + attackers Dex, if <than target's dex + agi *2 miss, if > target's dex + agi *2 hit
Critical = random number between 1-100, if attacker's str/10 < number, critical hit.  if attacters str/10 >number no critical
Damage= Attacker's weapon attack + attacker's strength - defender's pdef.  variance of 10%
critical damage= as above x 2
defending = damage / 2
minimum damage = 1

skill power should work like damage except instead of strength it should use the coefficents that can be edited in the skill window.  so if someone with 20 str and 20 dex uses a skill with 50%str and 100%dex and a power of 20 it should do about 10+20+20 with a variance of whatever...

How much work would it be for me to do something like this...  right now I predict a lot.  but that might be because i don't know what I'm doing.

any suggestions or comments.  or I guess even an explanation of how to tweak the current system to get rid of the high damage. 

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.