Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Welcome to the new home!

We've finished the server move. Please let us know about any problems here. If you have any login issues it is likely an issue with your login cookies. If clicking the link in the announcement heading doesn't help you should try removing them using your internet tools. Also you will have to reload your avatar's those never seem to stay with moves.

Okay folks you'll have to wait on the avatars at the moments since we need to change the permissions for the folder so that you guys can access it. At the moment I'm the only admin around but for some reason it won't allow me to do it through shell.

Okay you can upload an avatar right now if you want to. There is prolly a good chance we can restore them when the brain trust awakens, so you may just want to be patient.

lol Arbiter, thats what happened to me :)

Thanks a bunch a noodles

-by the way, the new posts dont appear until like minutes later...I dont know the exact time extent. :)

Awesome and all that we're back up!

But there are some issues, and I dont know if its just me or if its because of the move or any other posibility.
Ive tried the cookies thing and all that but it wont fix it...
If I click on either the 'Home' or 'Forums' links at the top it logs me out,
And both 'New Posts' and 'My Posts' arent updating at all.

Thanks for all the work and such anyway. *smiles*

The problem with posts taking a while, and the post lists not updating was probably due to the database still uploading. It appears to be done now. But let me know if any posts are missing.

If you're using Firefox, you may also have to clear "Authenticated Sessions". The browser is remembering your ("remember me") setting from the other server.

Be Well

Problem 1: Logging In

I thought the forums were just disabled to everybody for awhile until I asked somebody in IRC if they could log in. I'm reguarding this issue as an Internet Explorer issue, I don't know if it'll happen on Firefox or Opera or any of those other browsers. Also, I'll post what to do but I'm using Vista, donno if it is the same with older versions of Windows...

For Vista users using Internet Explorer, they'll have to be logged into their Administrator account on their computers, or if they don't have access to an account with admin priveledges, they'll have to right-click the Internet Explorer executable (either from the folder or the desktop, doesn't work on my Start menu) and select "Run As Administrator" before they're able to log in. Doesn't really have much to do with cookies, as I've already deleted all my cookies and still have the problem.

From my Administrator ("Master Account") I'm able to log in just fine, but from my personal ("Kain Nobel") account I have to do the method above, right click 'n all that jazz. Idk, maybe you might want to put a banner up notifying the 'guests' and people not logged in? It doesn't matter if I use 'remember me' or clear my cookies or anything of that nature with my personal account, so long as I'm not using "Run as Administrator" the forum acts like I've never logged in.

Problem 2: The "Â" Character

Yes, I've encountered another definate error in alot of different topics! At first, it didn't really stand out that bad, I just assumed authors of said messed up posts were using a foreign keyboard or something, but then I started looking at some of the script forums and noticed it too...

Messages which have irregular spaces between characters (ie, script posts which the 'tab' space is two spaces) have had the  character inserted into them. Please note, not every post with spaces has been messed up, just some that I've seen.

Before server change...

Code:
class My_Class

def initialize

print "Hello World!"

end

end

...And after server change...

Code:
class My_Class

Â  def initialize

Â  Â  print "Hello World!"

Â  end

end

For anybody who wants to use a script which this error has occured on, they'll either have to wait for the author or a moderator to edit said posts, and somebody will have to take on the task of editing archived posts which the authors don't visit or support anymore. I'd volunteer to help out but I don't have the rights to edit anybodys post, so it looks like you'll have to appoint a moderator on this issue...

But, for the users, if you happen to encounter a script with this issue its a rather easy fix... I'll list the steps, for now...

• Copy the posted script, paste it into your script editor
  • Call the Replace-All/Find option (ie, use CTRL+H)
  • On the first line, type in " " (the  character with two spaces in front)
  • Leave the second line blank
  • Click the "Replace-All" button
  • On the first line, again type in  (without spaces, this time)
  • Leave second line blank again
  • Click the "Replace-All" button again

This should delete all the stupid  characters, but still perserve the indentation the way the author has posted it. Alternatively, some coding (though doubtful) might actually use the  character for something important, so you might want to actually examine each line and click "Replace" instead of "Replace All" button.

This problem has been rather random, so it must be some kind of filter. I noticed some normal messages have the  character, alot of stand-alone code boxes have this error, and (the least likely effected, from what little I browsed) scripts which are contained like [ spoiler ][ code ][ /code ][ /spoiler ] are the ones least effected but still I've come across a couple.

If I find anything else wrong in the forum, I'll go ahead and post it here.

ergh, i tried. the software won't let me make a word censor with a blank alternative. spaces and tabstops are considered still to be blank. people may have to do this the hard way I'm afraid ...

One problem I seem to notice is that when you click home or forum while you are logged in, it says you are logged out, but when you click on a thread, you are still logged in. :) Its not a real big deal, just an FYI. :)

In IE: Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Delete Files
in FF: Tools -> Clear Private Data -> Cache & Offline Website Data

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.