Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Time Lord (SaGa Frontier) sprite WIP

Haven't made any random video game characters sprites in a while...

Here's Time Lord from SaGa Frontier.
V1

V2

timelord.png
I know, not the easiest character to sprite. I think his hair looks...bad. It's harder to tell from the art, but his hair is two-toned, lighter in the back and darker in the front. I still think I did bad regardless. His cape, is bizarre. I started with Lancer02, and copied palette's from other RTP sprites (except for his shoulder thing, that's why...it looks funkier) and I used the back of his cape for reference on how it should look to go in front, but urgh, it's just so awkward. His in-game sprite doesn't have the cape at all if I recall correctly, but I'm going to use that art for his battler, so I'd prefer if it matched...

There are some details I haven't gotten to yet, like the sash and the markings on his shirt and arm, I'll add them later or leave them off, sometimes little things don't show up on sprites well.

I know it's got problems, but I can't seem to figure 'em out. That's why I'm posting here, asking for advice and criticism and stuff.

EDIT: I figured I'd work on it more. His lighter hair still looks like earmuffs...I've decided to ditch the cape for now, and I sort of put that symbol on his shirt on the sprite. And the first step.

This is really good!
The boots should be lighter though (As shown in the ref), and the cape looks nice in the first pic, even though I'd darken it (Even though it doesn't perfectly fits the ref).

Hey, that's really cool! It seems to be missing a cape (but I don't know the source material). But other than that this is pretty nice.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.