Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Stumbling blocks

What normally stops you from finishing or progressing in your projects? Are you stuck on anything right now?

- and is there anything the community can do to help?

Art. I have no resources to work with, so there's only so much I can do.
I also hit a technical limitation that's really bothering me so I put the project on hold.

I can do art, music and programming, although art and music at a much slower pace. Usually some sort of academic activity stops me from working on my projects. Most recently I've just been doing absolutely nothing about anything. I plan to resume my projects upon returning home.

I suppose writing in general. I get hung up on story presentation. I self impose a lot of writing rules and avoid things like scrolling walls of text or "As you know..." dialog. I practice "show; don't tell".
Although visual novels, ironically, aren't very visual. They're literally floating heads in a room, which goes against everything I learned about writing. So you kinda have to do things like have characters talk out their actions or use on-the-nose dialog because you don't have body language or paragraph descriptions to provide subtext. Sprites aren't much better but you can still involve some small movements to punctuate their lines.

The only thing that slows down my projects is having time to work on them. There are lots of other things that I do with my spare time.

The only thing I do with my free time is work on my game project. I would love to have more art to work with, but for now my major limitation is the amount of time I can spend working on it. I'm a father of four with a day job, a lawn to mow, a car to fix, etc., etc., so unless I stay home "sick" from work, then I get to spend an hour or so working on it.

ZenVirZan, if you're looking for more art, you might want to consider talking to my artist over at http://www.endymiongames.com/. Shane is their pixel art guy. I think he's pretty good and his prices are reasonable. He did all of the HK pixel armor in Himeko Sutori. And he has a bunch of pixel assets for sale at Graphic River: http://graphicriver.net/item/stone-cast ... t/12086967

I'm doing pretty well lately, actually, but I had to start putting 30-40 hours a week into gamedev before I started making reasonable progress on it. I'm going to finish my current project, but the main things slowing me down right now are poorly scoping backgrounds (I have to make too many, kill me), deciding to do Live2D portrait animations (I think this was a good idea in theory but adds a lot more work than I expected), and faffing about on a last draft. The writing is probably the most difficult part of the process because it's the part I have the highest standards for. The rest is mainly just work, and I'm at the point now where my work habits are good enough that I can put in the time I need.

I'm artistically skilled, so I suppose assets isn't my problem. I have more than a few years of pixel art under my belt, and while I may need to work on my shading techniques at times, I feel I'm set towards resources.

What stops me from finishing projects is either focus and keeping updates to a project frequent (focus in general) or just the whole idea of getting the ball rolling for a new project. I might have more of an issue with debugging/bug fixing though, but I've begun to improve in that within the last few months.

Time isn't an issue to me, though. I got plenty of time, being unemployed besides my current school endeavors. Nothing huge like college, but I'm going to an IT tradeschool at the moment, which doesn't take too much up of my time.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.