Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Sniper rifles

I'm using the falcao pearl abs and I'm wondering how I should make sniper rifles in my game, I know I can give it the right range but how can I make it so you can actually see a target that's far away? I was thinking of maybe having a button that lets you look in a certain direction and the screen scrolls there but then what if the target moves

There's a mode7 for Ace isn't there? That would be interesting. Idk, how well it would work with an action system.

The only other way I can think of is change the player to a crosshair icon with "always on top" to scroll around the map and target something. I'm assuming you're shooting in straight lines. So, you could restrict the crosshair's movement in that sense so it would always stop at an obstacle. But turning 90 degrees while aiming might be clunky. And moving the cross hairs over cliffs but not trees could be tricky.

You can have all events with an event page that stops movement while targeting or firing. Or set their movements real slow with a grey tint screen to create a Bullet Time effect.

coyotecraft":2lyxhqk1 said:
There's a mode7 for Ace isn't there? That would be interesting. Idk, how well it would work with an action system.

The only other way I can think of is change the player to a crosshair icon with "always on top" to scroll around the map and target something. I'm assuming you're shooting in straight lines. So, you could restrict the crosshair's movement in that sense so it would always stop at an obstacle. But turning 90 degrees while aiming might be clunky. And moving the cross hairs over cliffs but not trees could be tricky.

You can have all events with an event page that stops movement while targeting or firing. Or set their movements real slow with a grey tint screen to create a Bullet Time effect.
Possibly and then I could have the screen follow the bullet as well. Ranged in general is difficult because when enemies shoot you they don't aim at you they just fire randomly and most of the shots miss I'm not sure how to make good ranged enemies with the abs lol.

Typical ABSes aren't very good for ranged enemies. The ones I've seen, anyway. Mainly because they're grid based. I'm not really sure a way around that other than making a completely new ABS.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.