Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

RISK: Discussion Thread

Spoo

Sponsor

To steal a territory, we have to be connected to the territory we want to nab, right? (example, you control germany, i control france, i can steal germany with a six)

RULES CHANGED:

1 changed to "miss a turn" rather than "delete one", to stop sabotagement and unfair rolls.

Added a rule for MISS A TURN, read it. :)

I would just like to mention that this will be a VERY slow game if we only have a random chance of being able to attack someone. Risk was based on how many armies you could afford to spend, and the more land you owned, the more power you controlled by dint of earning more armies every turn. I think that rather than simply having a random chance of conquering a territory or two, you should have the ability to conquer territories based on this random chance modified by how many territories you control. Risk also had the wild card (quite literally!) in the sense that in a turn where you conquered land, you got a card with one of three types of army on it (infantry, cannon, or cavalry) or all three (a wildcard, acts as one of any). When you had a set of three of the same kind, or a set of all three, you could trade them in for more armies. Every time someone did this, they got more armies than the last person, up to a point.

A decent suggestion is that rather than having a small chance of conquering land, you can declare five territories in order that you would like to conquer (by color) and your roll for the turn (as in the post where you declared them) determines which ones you get. (i.e. a six gets all five, a one gets none, a two gets the territory whose color you marked as number one. (the colors can't be an existing empire, they have to be unused to differentiate) and the game moves on from there)

tl;dr I don't like a game of luck, I would rather it was a game of skill augmented by luck.

Yes, you're right. To be honest I know very little of Risk, all I know is the version they play on 4chan which is very far away from actual Risk. I thought maybe this could be an evolving thing and we'd come up with our own game (hence a discussion thread), so open to any ideas.

I'm going to change the rules (because it's going too slow) and to begin with double all the empires. Back in a sec.

Spoo

Sponsor

all is going well for the phantasmian empire. at this rate, all of prussia will be mine before the end of the month.

[/imperialism]

Wyatt, I have a suggestion. If someone's empire is conquered, they can continue playing under one of two conditions. Either they resume play as a member of whichever empire conquered their final territories (And qualify as a member of that empire, preventing them and their conqueror from nabbing up the rest of the world in a spree like the one we went on) OR they reconquer the first territory they claimed, since that is presumably their capital and presumably where the strongest resistance to foreign occupation would be. If they do that, then all of their rolls result in the ability to capture affiliated territory rather than simply white (for the same count) as well as their normal territory capturing. This would last until they either hit unaffiliated territory, another empire, or five turns have passed.

Wyatt, are you going to do anything about all those itty bitty territories that are just barely on the map? Or all those itty bitty islands that may or may not be close enough to the mainland to conquer?

Also, I just thought I should point out that the war has seen its first breach of international protocol. (I.E. someone broke a rule)

I think that the little islands correspond with the nearest main land...

Though Greece is to be dealt with like a normal cross-over
Or it takes double to reach the island (conquer one land on it)

*EDIT
On that note, where are some other countries from Europe?
Im missing Scandinavia completely
There is no Ireland, Cyprus or Iceland
And there is no Sardinia or Corsica, no Sicily, Crete is gone
And the little islands near the east of Spain aren't there either...

europe-map.gif

You've stumbled upon me trying to simplify things. I did think I'd removed all of the little islands. I thought it would complicate things as they don't have land borders.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.