Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Recommend me a book

What book can successfully allow me to have a deeper insight into the life of a criminal living on the fringes of a run-down society? A story that involves a person who steals not out of simple desire, but of necessity, and one who climbs the underworld ladder with the intention of implementing HIS ideology of a ‘perfect’ criminal organisation. Please tell me there is such a book out there that you know of. I am not looking for anything in-depth. I just want to get a vague idea of the world.

Appreciate any help.

Marcus

Sponsor

...scarface?

Seriously, I don't know of any books like that but I do recommend a few by Philip K. Dick as they fit the style you're looking for (moral ambiguity, run-down societies, fighting to survive, questioning life, etc.)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
A Scanner Darkly
The Man in the High Castle
VALIS
Ubik
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said

I’m not familiar with the book, but from what I have seen from the movie, its story doesn’t address what it is I am looking for. It’s too formal and organised. I’m looking for something a little more ‘chaotic’ and less structured. Basically a world where poverty and crime runs rife.

Marcus

Sponsor

Ambience said:
I’m not familiar with the book, but from what I have seen from the movie, its story doesn’t address what it is I am looking for. It’s too formal and organised. I’m looking for something a little more ‘chaotic’ and less structured. Basically a world where poverty and crime runs rife.

Yea, I really don't know of any books were crime rules the streets but I know a couple of books that are real "mind openers."

A Wild Sheep Chase: a postmodern noir adventure that doesn't follow any form of structured literary style. It's very good but you need to read it with an open mind.

120 Days of Sodom: One of the most fucked up books I ever read. It's about 4 nobles kidnapping 24 teenagers, torturing them, and forcing them to do humiliating tasks for their own pleasure. In one scene called "circle of shit" they force this girl to play with and eat their feces. In the end, anyone who didn't participate is killed in a horrible way. It's a very gruesome look in the minds of rich madmen who think they're "invincible."

It's not with the intention of trying to expand my own insights towards life I am looking for such a book. I want it so I can better portray a world that I am trying to create. Thanks for your suggestions though, I’ll probably check those out at a later time. 120 days however, I don't know :S

Marcus

Sponsor

Actually, check out a movie called Falling Down. It's cheap and a cult classic so you can probably pick it up at any DVD store for about $10. It's about a emotionally unstable man who's divorced from his wife and wishes to see his daughter for her birthday. The movie is simply about him trying to make it to his daughter but a series of unfortunate events interrupt him and he reacts in outrageous ways that are against our laws but totally fine for him.

Just a few sample scenes, he tries to get money to call his ex-wife but he can't get change without buying a $2 canned soda. He gets angry and the shopkeeper thinks he's robbing the place so he attacks him with a mallet. The guy grabs the mallet, smashes the store, and then PAYS FOR THE SODA. Afterwards, he gets into a fight with a latino gang and when they try to do a drive by on him they run off the road and kill themselves. When he takes the guns, he inadvertently holds up a burger joint because they stopped serving breakfast 5 minutes ago so the police are after him.

The entire movie is one crazy scene after the next. He's not a criminal like your description says (he's an everyday white-collar worker) but he gets fed up with the run-down California modern society and completely flips. He's not evil at all, just desperate to see his daughter, and the very dredges of society like greedy old men, a radical nazi, misunderstanding officers, and lazy construction workers get in his way.

By the end, he's wondering why everyone thinks "HE'S" the badguy when he just wants to give a present to his daughter. The movie is very good at being morally ambiguous as the main character is seen as both a man you can sympathize with as well as a guy who really is insane based on several context clues. The movie does a good job at leaving the details to your imagination so that you don't feel like the author is trying to force a conclusion in your face. It's a very, very good movie and I think it'll help inspire your project.

Another movie that might give you more insight into a chaotic world is Man on Fire. Scenes in that go into depth about the poverty of Mexico, and how people resort to kidnapping as a means of survival. Plus, it has Denzel Washington, aka Master Chief in it. =D

Kraft

Sponsor

You could watch Fun with Dick and Jane :)
a book that is very good on the criminal side would be the artemis Fowl Series, although he is pretty wealthy (and 12 years old, and the smartest kid in Ireland)

it deals with fantasy and stuff, but he steals a lot of awesome things, and his plans are flawless (usually...)

Kraft

I'll have a browse around for those videos at my local Blockbusters on the weekend. Might also try and get my hands on "City of God" as all this talk of movies helped stir up some past cinematic experiences.

I recommend you 1984 by George Orwell. For me it's one of the best books I've ever read. It's about Big Brother, a political mechanism. I think you'll like, if you're not sure, read the first chapters, and find out. It is also about future.

In overall, it's a MUST.

Marcus

Sponsor

It's also an American school requirement (1984) so if you're in a high school english class you've probably already read it.

I've had high school English every year so far (won't be taking the last class), and I've only heard of that book. We get to read classics like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (god I hate you Mark Twain you lecherous old man) or The Crucible (god I hate you... Author!)

I might pick that 1984 book up sometime, since it's written from such an interesting perspective.

Andy6000 said:
The Crucible (god I hate you... Author!)
Arthur Miller! (ahem.)

We did that play called "A View From The Bridge"... which was also written by him...

that was pretty good, but anyways, to stay on topic: I don't know what book to recommend, as I mostly read fantasy books. Maybe, uhh... Oliver Twist?

Marcus said:
It's also an American school requirement (1984) so if you're in a high school english class you've probably already read it.

Oh I didn't know it (I'm portuguese).
I found the book quite interesting.
Apart from that, the only english books I've read where:

Pride and Prejudice, Prisioner Of Zenda, The Citadel, The Three Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes and some short stories from Isaac Asimov.

I've also read the poem Raven, by Edgar Poe.

So I cannot recommend you other.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.