Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Gemini - RGSS/RGSS2 Script Editor

That's pretty fancy, and don't ask me why I've never seen it until now :D I especially like the tabbed functionality to it, which is something I could never figure out the reason for it missing in RMVXP. That, and of course the one-of-a-kind (?) ability to open script data files and edit/save them without much hazzle. The fact that it's a non-install version is also pretty great. Now, all it needs to compete with notepad++ is the open sorce attribute ;)

Good stuff!

Good stuff indeed.

Improvement ideas :
- Add a "(*)" on title of tabs that have been modified since last save.
- Change "Save" to "Save All" for disambiguation.
- When Running with "Save on Run" checked, save only if modifications have been done.
- Mouse middle click on tabs to close.
- Allow to reorder tabs with drag and drop.
- Allow to reorder scripts with drag and drop.

Bugs :
- If we do Ctrl+Z on an unmodified tab it become blank.
- Not really a bug but when we use the Up and Down buttons the 'auto-alignment' is weird. You're using Windows Form right ? Don't you have a EnsureVisible method ?
- And what about the text encoding bug ? :)

I noticed with the text encoding bug that every time I opened it with Gemini, it would add an 'Ã' and sometimes a '¢' to some comments and even strings, messing up readability and my code xD
Also, the fact that Gemini places a newline character after the script name is a little annoying. When you get an error, it drops the info down a line and looks strange/uncomfortable.

ya blue i have been using it at work, its pretty good to work with. its 1000% better then working in notepad at work then emailing it home and spending forever to clean the code up on xp. its hows ive gotten all that work done on that secret project of mine.

ive been comparing my issues and others together. i realized that i have no issues with this program on my xp computer and i get small issues her or there with my windows 7 machine. just FYI

Yeah, there are a few bugs here and there that still need fixed. I have been working on ARC and haven't had the time to look into it. I made a commitment that I would not start any other projects until ARC is released, and I plan to stick to that, so I am unsure exactly when I will get around to it.

For that reason, I have open-sourced Gemini, so please take a look at the original post to find the links.

• * Bumps for the HUGE update *

Just before releasing Gemini's source, I was contacted by Zeus81, who was interested in the code and wanted to help with fixing bugs and making future updates. I released the code to him, and all I can say now is that he delivered on his word in the best fashion. He made vast improvements to Gemini in nearly every respect, most notably in regards to the a huge speed increase in saving/loading/running, fixing ALL the known errors, and many GUI improvements.  

If you currently have Gemini, update now, if you tried and didn't like it, I ask that you give it another try, and if you never have before, than what the hell are you waiting for?  ;)

• Splash Screen
    • New logo
    • Moved to IronRuby 1.1.3 and .Net 4
    • Moved to Scintilla 2.2.2, the RMVXAce one, which have received some fix
    • Fixed "New Project" title bug
    • Added RPG Maker VX Ace projects support
    • Improved loading and saving speed drastically
    • Added ability to open r*data scripts files directly
    • Changed "Recently Open Projects" order, now most recent ones on top of the list
    • Added "Auto-Open Most Recent on Start" option
    • Added interoperability with RPG Maker, we can now use both at the same time, the scripts from Gemini are kept
    • Added "Close Project" button
    • Improved Import functions to support multiple files at once
    • Added Export as r*data script file, it can be use as backup
    • Changed Settings format and save location, since Gemini is a portable application I though it would be better to have it in the same folder
    • Added save confirmation dialog before running game or closing Gemini
    • Added new style for line number margin in the style configuration
    • Changed Auto Complete list to display words that 'contains' tapped text (instead of 'start with') + alphabetically sorted
    • Removed Auto Complete validation chars "([.{:" that could validate unwanted words due to non case sensitiveness
    • Changed "Auto Complete Configuration" behavior, now we activate word groups by selecting them and it's smart (aka we have RMXP constants if an RMXP project is open, etc...)
    • Added RPG Maker help files to open with F1
    • Added F12 shortcut for running game
    • Added button to open current project folder
    • Merged update process into Gemini
    • Added "Auto Check Updates" option
    • Added possibility to copy/paste scripts between different Gemini's instances and/or RPG Maker
    • Added drag drop to reorder scripts list
    • Added drag drop to reorder open scripts tabs
    • Added display of the altered state of scripts in tabs and script list with a *
    • Added close button on tabs and middle click to close them too
    • Added new tabbed interface for searches with Ctrl+Maj+F
    • Fixed find/replace window bugs
    • Added Ctrl+0 to reset the text zoom
    • Fixed coloring bugs
    • Fixed encoding bug
    • Improved "Auto-Indent" and "Structure Script" algorithms

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.