Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Downtime explanation and more!

shadow

Sponsor

I'm sure all of you have noticed that we've been down for the past twelve hours or so. I'm sorry about that, and I'm sure you have a lot of questions. Hopefully this will clear everything up for you.

I have been hosting RMXP.org for a long time now on the same server that handles the slacked irc network. RMXP.org deserves its own hosting, and should have had its own hosting for a while. Over the past month or so, we have finally found an alternative host and settled on it. We attempted to make the switch last night/early this morning.

RMXP.org was up and running on the new host... for a couple of minutes. It seems that their server couldn't handle the traffic of this forum and we ended up breaking the whole thing pretty quickly. The downtime was a result of that crash, as we had to decide what do to.

In the end, we went back and renewed my slacked dedicated server for another month, as we knew that it would be able to handle the site. This will give us more time to find another host that will be able to fulfill the needs of RMXP.org. Please note that it wasn't just the RMXP.org staff and myself, but jamie of slacked also put a lot of time into helping us through this. Thanks, jamie!

In other news, while the forums were down, Despain didn't have anything to distract him from doing something useful! If you notice, the link at the top of the forum, the "Become a Sponsor!" link, now leads you to a page that will explain the benefits and process of donating to RMXP.org's hosting fund.

For the time being, as the page says, sponsorships will be conducted personally by sending a private message to an administrator or contacting them in the irc chat.

Thank you to everybody who was patient with us throughout this process, and we apologize for the downtime.

shadow

Sponsor

As I explained in the old thread, downloading and uploading an extremely large mysql database takes hours. If people are still posting on the forums, any new information will be lost once the host switches over.

Arbiter":1js5g6vg said:
You mentioned that yesterday and an answer was given.

Yeah sorry asshole, the site was down before I got a chance to see the reply. EVIDENTLY.

shadow":1js5g6vg said:
As I explained in the old thread, downloading and uploading an extremely large mysql database takes hours. If people are still posting on the forums, any new information will be lost once the host switches over.

Right, but I myself would rather have the forums up and just lurking around looking at posts etc. No big deal though, just curious. By the way, what host are we going to be using? If it's dedicated, then I hope to god it's The Planet. Their servers are awesome

shadow

Sponsor

It would appear a VPS (virtual private server) is out of the question for RMXP (just not enough power for a site this size). We're looking at different companies for dedicated hosting now, and will announce which one we chose when we find one.

I'm still banned from IRC... :P

Well, things are fine now. It's good that we got our own server, shows a bit of progression in this community.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ratty165/rmxporg_dumbmessage.jpg[/img]

Roph

shadow":1c49u59z said:
It would appear a VPS (virtual private server) is out of the question for RMXP (just not enough power for a site this size).

L O L.

You can't really be this full of yourself about your traffic can you? Or do you actually think that? You would run better on a decent VPS than a cheap dedicated of comparable price that you're probably going to buy. You could spend less and get better.

Even a $49/mo vps (from the right place, not a polished turd like knownhost or jaguarpc), you'll be on a node with multiple 51xx Xeons, heaps and meadows of top of the line ram and RAID'd 15k scsis. If you can even find a $49/mo dedi, you'll be on some crappy celeron, have off the best buy shelf ram and be running on a single run of the mill IDE HD.

If you're serving files then sure get an unmanaged dedi, but for you guys RAM and disk performance will be your bottleneck, and it is these where (unless you shell out for a good dedi) a VPS shines.

I wouldn't be high horsey about choosing unmanaged either, this place is honestly out of all the sites I visit the one with the most downtime or problems, and if you really think you need (or this places actually uses) 1GB+ of ram then you've really got some learning to do, I can't believe how inefficient you are.

Theplanet has turned to shit since they merged with EV1, ask any serious customer with real experience.

On reading my post so far it probably seems a bit bitchy, but my aim is to help you. You know who I recommend and I won't blow their trumpet here, but honestly if you just went with them you would be saving alot of both money and headaches.

I'd like to see .ORG set up on Freewebs so I could see Freewebs crash instantaneously and take down thousands of crappy sites... SO MANY CRAPPY SITES!!!!!!!

Seriously though, good luck finding a better hosting? But may I ask what is wrong with the current one, where the site is now?

Good luck with the switch.  I deal with this sort of thing everyday and at times it can be a pain in the arsh.  Look forward to seeing the new setup when things are switched over.

shadow

Sponsor

Just an update, we've figured out the future of RMXP's hosting. We're keeping the dedicated server going another month or so and then RMXP will live on the server we're co-locating soon for Slacked.

http://slacked.org/misc/p-2.png

This beast has an Intel Xeon with 2GB RAM(maybe more soon).

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.